Women In Sports Week 2016 Starts Today

0

It’s finally here! Union Southampton’s very own Women in Sports week kicks off today with a whole host of teams competing around Southampton and further afield on this Wessex Wednesday. With the national WiS week in early October, US. are looking to continue to raise the profile and awareness of women sports here in Southampton

Wessex Scene will be bringing you interviews from just a few of the top level female athletes we have here in Southampton throughout the week as well as keeping you up to date on what’s going on and how you can get involved. You can keep up with all that is going with the hashtags, #womeninsport #thisbucsgirlcan #womenofwessex.

You may be wondering, why are we having a women in sport week at all? Well, women are massively under-represented by the media and are overlooked when it comes to investment. They receive only 7% of sports media coverage and a tiny 0.4% of commercial investment. This has led to an imbalance of 1.6million fewer women playing sport than men within the UK alone and within the sports workforce women are underrepresented at every level. And that’s what this week is hoping to challenge!

The Olympics are a perfect example of why these stats need to change, women’s sport is just as exciting and thrilling to watch as men’s and there are so many female athletes who are great role models and inspire girls everywhere.

In terms of today, make sure you head up to wide lane if you can as there will be a ton of action to catch, if you cant make it up there check out SUSUtv’s live commentary of the women’s hockey 1sts taking on Sussex.

Credit: Team Southampton
Credit: Team Southampton
More articles in Women in Sports Week 2016
  1. Women In Sports Week 2016 Starts Today
  2. Women In Sport: An Interview With Laurie Pestana
  3. Women In Sport: An Interview With Rachel Barton
  4. The Ultimate Women In Sport Quiz
  5. Women in Sport: An Interview With Eleanor Fox
  6. Women In Sport: An Interview With Alana John
  7. Women In Sport: An Interview With Abigail Finn
  8. Women In Sport: An Interview With Alice Masterman
  9. Women’s Salaries In Sport: The Good The Bad The Ugly
  10. Women Of Wessex Live Blog
  11. Women In Sport: An Interview With Cara Pritchard