The SUSU Scribblers: How NOT to run a society

112

I was rather shocked to see the Soton Tab post a rather controversial article about the University of Southampton’s creative writing society, the SUSU Scribblers. Who better to write a response than the founder of the society herself?

If you asked me for my honest opinion, I do wish that I’d never created the society. I’ve created a monster. It’s true, the society has become a lot more trouble than it’s worth. A University society is supposed to be fun. It’s not supposed to make you feel sick, scared, and quite frankly, very uncomfortable. I am disgusted at what I’ve helped create. When I first sent round the emails asking if anyone would be interested in joining a creative writing society, I never thought that THIS would happen.

By THIS, I mean the frequent disputes that clog up all of the members’ notifications. If you’ve ever visited the group’s Facebook page, you’ll see what I mean. There is cyberbullying, there is victimisation. And there’s a lot of unconstructive criticism. It’s not what I’d expect from a group of Russell Group university students. It’s what I’d expect from high school, maybe even sixth form at a push. But not university students.

The SUSU Scribblers is arguably the most infamous society Southampton has ever seen. Just one look at the group’s Facebook page will tell you why. Any post has the potential to kick-start a flame war, and I mean any post. I asked if anyone had any ideas for any activities that they’d like to do next year and was accused of posting it only to gain ideas for my manifesto. I posted a story that I wrote about a young woman suffering from depression, and it recieved a grand total of 85 comments. I am not exaggerating. It’s got to the point where I cannot post anything without someone else having a stab at it.

It all started shortly after the Easter break, when the members were deciding whether or not they should hold an AGM. As the society was still in its infancy, having only been founded at the beginning of Februrary, I wasn’t sure if an AGM was appropriate. Furthermore, we weren’t even affiliated yet.

Unfortunately, my comment wasn’t recieved well. I was called a dictator by lots of people, even some members that have never once contributed to the society. Someone even compared me to Ian Huntley. Of course I was hurt by the comments, but brushed them off in a bid to give the members what they wanted. I set about organising an AGM with help from the society’s Administrator and Secretary.

As mentioned in the Soton Tab article, the SUSU Scribblers has had problems with erotica. During love week (appropriately timed to fit in with Valentine’s Day) several members wrote erotic stories and posted them onto the Facebook page. Other members weren’t happy with this, deeming it awkward. The final straw came when I drunkenly added a sexual poem (a mistake I realised, regretted and quickly deleted) but the damage was done. The Scribblers first intra-society war began, which was sorted by drawing up a set of censoring guidelines which pleased both sides of the arguments.

That dispute was nothing compared to what’s happening now. The society is in turmoil. The slightest comment will set off an argument. It’s  got to the point where I had to go and see the head of the English department about all of the online arguments. Needless to say, she was disgusted. I introduced a new rule: any offensive or potentially provoking comment was to be deleted and the culprit warned. If they should do it again, they were to be banned permanately from the group. This, again, sparked off another flame war, and one of the society’s members has had to be deleted due to it.

As I’ve said already, I am horrified at the monster that I created. Like most students at the University of Southampton, I’ve joined a lot of societies. And none of them seem to have the trouble that the SUSU Scribblers has. Whether it’s due to the fact that the society is still in its infancy, or that the fact that creative minds are bound to clash, I don’t know. All I know is that the society has become a very uncomfortable place to be and as its founder, I will accept the full blame for it. I wish that the members spent more time writing stories than writing offensive comments. I wish that the members realised that appointing a new committee is unlikely to solve our current issues. And I wish that I’d never contributed to any of the arguments myself. I have tried to be a good leader, and have failed miserably.

It’s a cliché, but every cloud does have a silver lining. I admit that I’ve made mistakes, but I have most certainly learnt from them. I know how a society shouldn’t be run. I know what doesn’t work, what encourages people to write provoking comments. I know that now, and I’m sure as hell not going to let that happen again. I’m the one that created a monster, and I’m the one that’s going to tame it. Perhaps my fault was inexperience. I am only a first year, after all. I’m used to looking after three younger siblings, not 100 (according to the Facebook group) students.

Semester two is nearly over. With the AGM held this Thursday, a new commitee will be elected. New ideas will be encouraged. I for one certainly have a better idea of how to approach the society, and I’m sure that I’m not the only one. We have all learnt from this. I’m sure that, with time, the society will flourish. I like to think of the Scribblers as a phoenix, soon to rise out of the ashes. Next year, hopefully, we shall no longer be known for our disputes. We shall be known for our work. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the true aim of the SUSU Scribblers.

I have always wanted to write. It’s more of a need than a want. I will not rest until I am a professional journalist, and I am going to start with the Wessex Scene…

It’s the internet, there are bound to be arguments and harsh comments… much like this: How come you’ve written 18 articles, yet none of them actually contain any content?

ITK Journo

Pudsey in with the smackdown HAHAHAHA

Luke Goodger

Much like you then Pusey, she has the right to write, if we have to bear your words, then im sure we can bear hers

Massive Donged Rugby Captain

Infighting and bitching amongst Wessex Scene writers, love it. Pusey is the Imogen Carr of the Scene, moaney and whiney with an ego the size of my dick.

André Pusey

It’s gotta be bigger than that, surely!?

Massive Donged Rugby Captain

Bet you’ve heard that before

André Pusey

You’ve got me.

Bridget Clay

Pathetic

André Pusey

Unlike me though, most of her articles are… recipes.

Luke Goodger

True that there is need for some refining… but debate is great

Boom

Exactly, easier to read and reach a logical conclusion, better then much you write….

André Pusey

Classic Tab response.

Boom

And? She’w written an opinion piece. Maybe its not the most accurate but thats opinion and thats UK free speech. Get off your high horse and support one of your fellow writers. She’ll get enough grief from people outside WS without you adding to it. People say the Tab has a bad attitude, only becuase they stick up for each other whether they agree or not and argue back with trolls like you!

André Pusey

I’m not a troll; I believe everything I’m writing. Opinion pieces should be on interesting, engaging, relevant topics, such as debates on gay rights, happenings abroad, and politics, not crying about people shouting at you in a Facebook group.

Sense of perspective...?

If I wanted debates on gay rights, happenings abroad and politics I’d read a proper newspaper – university media should be about university issues. (Which are inherently petty and inconsequential.)

André Pusey

I actually agree with you – I think I used some irrelevant examples. Perhaps the views on tuition fees, the way elections are conducted in the students’ union, and the pricing of food in the Cafe are more relevant, but still these are much more interesting than this frankly odd rant.

Bridget Clay

Whoever is trolling against andré here first of all a) how very big of you and b) don’t just disagree with andré for the sake of it ! He’s right !! (If you are from soton tab then cringe on my part but that should mean that you agree even more! because imagine if we wrote an article every time someone ‘cyberbullied’ us, every time we were criticised for features/articles being called bigots/mysoginists/righties/bitches) !
    @ Imogen i’m very sorry to hear that you have been offended by reactions to thoughts and opinions which are obviously personal. i definitely know the feeling and its not nice especially when it’s something you’ve worked hard on but when you’re in a position whereby your articles/opinions (or poems, whatever) are being exposed to a large group of people you have to remain professional! don’t learn the hard way! once you’ve left that first comment back there is no stopping, youre in a downward spiral! just remember there is ALWAYS someone who will disagree..but for every 1 person who does, there will be (depending on how big your group is ofc) ~15 people who have seen it and liked it but just not said anything!

André Pusey

Like… what even IS this article? It’s like a pitiful cry for help, not even a vague attempt at journalism.

Sam Everard

Come on, Andre. Much as many of Imogen’s previous articles haven’t been fantastically written, and the whole Scribblers thing is an absolute debacle, the last thing anybody needs right now is for SUSU Media to rise up against her and continue with personal attacks. Which, it has already been established, is what killed the society in the first place. I’m not siding with anybody, I don’t know enough about the situation to do that, but it seems counter-productive. And are you so confident in your own writing that you can destroy other peoples? That isn’t constructive

André Pusey

Sam… firstly, I think what you said about SUSU Media have risen up and “killed” the society directly contradicts what you then say about “not siding with anybody”. Secondly, I am not confident in my writing per se, but rather in the subject matter of what I write about as opposed to recipes, e.g. tuition fees, awards ceremonies, and local news.

Sam Everard

I understand, but that wasn’t my wording. I stated that personal attacks were what killed the society, not SUSU Media, and that personal attacks from members of said media at this stage are counterproductive. Two different things. And that’s fair enough, but I still think lambasting someone’s writing in the manner you did is a little harsh. I’m sure, however, constructive criticism would have been welcomed

Massive Donged Rugby Captain

Just say what we’re all thinking – Pudsey, you are a mug of the highest order.

George Doel

Well said. Comments such as Andre’s above bring this down to bitching and isn’t professional for someone on media committees.

André Pusey

I’m here as a reader; I don’t forever have to live my life as a frickin’ committee member, George.

George Doel

To be on a committee suggests that you want to be actively involved in improving the quality and reputation of these sort of publications, which your comment does neither. Not a reader, but someone actively trying to put down another person for trying to show an opinion. I’m sure there are better ways of wording ‘not even a vague attempt at journalism’ that could have been more productive for the writer, no?

André Pusey

I’m not on the Scene committee, so I feel I am free to come here – as a student of Southampton University – and voice my opinion on articles just like anyone else does. Also yes, maybe I could have worded it better, but I feel that my comment sums up my feeling well – this ‘article’ has no point and belongs on a blog, not the official newspaper of our students’ union.

George Doel

I know this, I mean being part of a media committee. Even then, when you being to admit that you were wrong in the way it first came across, you have to put article in quotation marks. Good luck once you leave university and try to form working relationships with colleagues with comments such as that.

André Pusey

I put it in quotation marks because I don’t want to label it an article, as I see it more as a personal rant akin to a blog post. Also, if you think I’m stupid enough to plan on talking to colleagues and clients like I talk to other students, then you’re as stupid as you think me to be.

George Doel

That’s understandable, yet again you resort to saying personal rant instead of opinion piece. You say you wouldn’t do it to colleagues or clients, but it’s OK to talk about other student’s work like it? God forbid in a workplace, but its cool to say it about out University students’ work.

André Pusey

I personally believe you should be completely honest and open about everything, hence my usually ridiculous comments on articles on the Scene and the Tab – I personally dream of living in a world like that in The Invention of Lying. But, you obviously hold back in certain situations so as to (1) not hurt loved ones or (2) not put your own opportunities in jeopardy – I don’t think I was ever going to be offered a job by Imogen, and I personally don’t care if she’s offended by what I say (I say this as a reader, of course, and not a representative of any department or other organisation…), therefore I’ll say what I feel and lambast her work if I don’t like it.

George Doel

Again, I agree being honest is a good policy, but for the good of a first year looking to improve on her journalism, you could have at least been constructive. This is my last post as I feel it is going nowhere. Agree to disagree it seems.

André Pusey

Constructive… she wrote well, but the choice of subject was awful. How’s’at?

Anon

Actually Andre, its quite a small world. If you’re intent on being a bellend to everyone who isn’t family and friends and schmoozing anyone you think can give you a leg up then you really are just a bit of an arsehole and people will realise that. This is especially true if you’re going into media as its quite a small industry. If you have 3 or 4 years of an entire university thinking you’re a cock, then there’s a good chance you’ll run into one of them at some point in the future. And your name is quite easy to remember. I can only assume that by slagging other people’s work off that you are trying to compensate for your own low self-esteem. And you’re chubby. HA!

André Pusey

It’s true – I am chubby.

Jon

Whatever this article is, it’s literally the best piece of writing I’ve come across in the Scene for a LONG time. It’s heartfelt, informative, makes me want to learn more about what’s happening, raises important issues about how a society is run, well written, and (IMO) genuinely interesting. Why don’t you lay off a bit?

Claire Joines

I’m sorry Jon but..

The best.. What?

Jon

Do you want me to repeat something I typed? The beauty is, I don’t have to, because it’s written up there for you to re-read until you understand it. I’m sorry that that process is taking some time.

Also I’m not really sure what two full-stops are meant to indicate. Perhaps you meant three, but were mentally paralysed by the prospect of such a high number.

Rory

Jon North, you’re so pretentious it’s unbearable. Why do you suck up to Imogen so much?
    What do you actually add to Scribblers?

Jon North

Just gonna throw this out there, that wasn’t me, when I comment here I use my full name.

Jon

Was gonna say…. I have no vested interest in this whole thing. I’d never even heard of Scribblers before I read this.
    Did ‘Rory’ make himself look really silly? Yes he did…

Anti-idiot Brigade

Andre Pusey, after all, is a leading journalist up there with Pilger, Fisk and Gelhorn. Look at this classic after-all: http://www.theedgesusu.co.uk/news/2012/02/03/tenacious-d-kick-off-countdown-to-new-album

Oh, wow…a crap band have released an announcement that they are planning to release an album sometime in the future….newsworthy indeed!

André Pusey

A crap band in your opinion, who have sold millions of records worldwide and are extremely popular amongst students. What I love the most about this comment is that you’ve gone and searched through my back-catalogue of articles for The Edge to find something to latch onto, so thanks very much for the publicity and support!

Anti-idiot Brigade

Nah, I noticed it at the time actually. Just thought it was relevant to bring it up now to make the case your articles lack content, yet you have the audacity to criticise other people’s writing.

André Pusey

“Tenacious D are going to release a new album” contains information, just in that one sentence. This… is, as far as I can understand it, an ashamed and belittled President of an almost-society trying desperately to absolve herself of the mistakes she has made. Why, oh why, does it belong on the Wessex Scene?

“There is cyberbullying”

Imogen, can I direct you to the poem you wrote about Mike? The one you published publicly? Yeah, that one.

Nothing on the society has come near to the abuse you threw at him.

André Pusey

Claire for King.

Name

Oh explain more, please!

Claire Joines

Although the poem had a lovely rhyme scheme, it seemed Imogen was incapable of writing a respectful, self aware piece of literature.

I really wish I’d taken a screenshot or something but it’d be unfair on Mike to post the offensive drivel she wrote about him.

Interesting to note that many members of Scribblers are reasonable and upstanding members of SUSU and various other societies that all seem to run wonderfully without a hitch.

Wouldn’t have expected Wessex Scene to publish a piece like this without first properly vetting the ‘facts’.
    Of course they might struggle as the author has meticulously gone back through the entire group deleting every discussion, debate and argument that might paint her conduct in a bad light.

I would urge you all to read her latest manifesto submission for the role of Creative Director for a crash course in recognising a victimisation complex mixed in with healthy doses of narcissism.

Jonny

What it comes down to is this: a brilliant idea for a society and community, executed by entirely the wrong person for the wrong reasons.

Roll on AGM, roll on Beth Swale.

Luke Goodger

Jonny, I sympathise with your views however we debated whether to publish the article to allow Imogen to have her say or not

Jonny

The question being, how many more articles would you publish if others also wanted to have their say on this matter?

Claire Joines

Jonny for Queen?

Massive Donged Rugby Captain

Claire to ride my cock in the bushes?

André Pusey

I hear it’s pretty big.

Massive Donged Rugby Captain

Able to walk properly again yet? I did warn you of the size with the ego comment…

André Pusey

Some great contributions, Adam.

Ellie Sellwood

This post has been put under ‘Have Your Say’ and ‘Opinion’ so whether the facts are there or not, this is Imogen’s way to have her say about what has happened.

Jonny

Well wow if this can get in I’ll reconsider submitting the piece I wrote about StudentCrasher.

Becci

Do it Jonny – that deserves to be read about!

Claire Joines

Agreed!

David Gilani

ham sandwich!

You leave yourself open to criticism when self serving articles such as these are written. I’d follow the advice of my article (as I shamelessly plug it) and shirk it off with good humour. Anthony Trollope once wrote, ‘What is any public question but a conglomeration of private interests?’ Those private interests can tell you a lot about the people who are on your back. Forget the insular, petty prudes that have turned your society into a medley of overblown indignation – they are dealt with best by not fighting fire with fire. I personally hope you are re-elected at your own AGM so you can get the society back on its feet again.

Also, Pusey’s a whiney tit.

Tempted to join this society for the drama, let alone the writing.

HELL YEAH

this society sounds like so much fun! i might go to the agm just to see if im interested…:P

My news feed has been plastered with so much Scribblers controversy…and I am not going to lie…most of it seemed directed at you Imogen. If you feel Scribblers was going in the wrong direction/bad things were happening, stand down as President and let somebody else who is more experienced/able at running a society. It was ambitious to set up and run a society like this in first year and in my opinion your problems should have been sorted a long time ago and you should have realised you’d lost control, handed it to someone else and we probably wouldn’t be where we are today.

This article (and the Tab’s article) has made for great procrastination.

Becci

I’ve done no work tonight because of this!

André Pusey

I’m trying desperately to fit revision in around this comment-fest…

Sam Everard

I’ve got 2000 words to write for 4 tomorrow. They can wait!

Just thought I’d give a view from outside the society. I’m a member of the Facebook page but I’ve never been to the meetings of SUSU Scribblers. I did intend to go but after viewing what went down more than weekly on the page, I didn’t join. This article fails to mention the fact that as society president Imogen didn’t seem to me to be just some form of arbitrator, watching as they went on – she was the initiator, key escalator and once finished, deletor of the arguments that happened. In this article she paints the society as though the members were children and she an adult trying to control them, but in truth it seemed like she was as much throwing the sand in the play pit as they were.

The exact moment when I realised I would never attend SUSU Scribblers wasn’t any of the arguments over censorship, et cetera. It was when the author of this article and President of SUSU Scribblers posted a frankly horrible piece of writing about a member of the society.

I don’t think you created a monster, Imogen. I think you created something that could have been good, but the way in which you dealt with members and arguments turned it sour.

– Anon

Surely this should be exactly what you’d expect from a group of students.

This really does look like a lot of fun though, can it not just be rebranded as a bitching society? Call it “TROLL-WARS” or something. Save me smacking down 12 year olds on youtube all night.

Claire Joines

Unfortunately that would require Imogen being re-elected, as most, if not all of the arguments were initiated by her.

I haven’t seen any of the ‘bitching’ that has gone on in that group. I’ve only joined a few days ago (discovering a really touching story by one member about their dead sister), so I don’t have anything to say about what went on in the past…

But looking to the future… you are about to run for a position on the SUSU Scribblers committee. Do you think it’s fair to use your rights, as a writer for the Wessex Scene, to extend your manifesto?

“I for one certainly have a better idea of how to approach the society”
    “I’m the one that’s going to tame it”

I dunno… it just seems a bit unfair to anyone else that’s thinking of running for the Creative director position. Couldn’t you have waited until after Thursday, then written this article?

Jon North

This is a very good point

Dan Ayre

I do feel very sorry for all involved with this issue, and hope that it is solved before next year and the future first years who may wish to join it.

Somanywordsstilltowritefortomorrow

Tab – you lot must be well annoyed that the troll-baiting, comment-fest tempting article you originally published has resulted in a great one moving over to WS. Shame, although it is largely Andre’s fault for being quite the epic tit.

André Pusey

See, everyone’s talking about me not offering constructive criticism, then going ahead and calling me things like an “epic tit”, which by the way is a fantastic phrase! So… why am I a tit? And what’s your take on this whole thing?

Anon

IMPARTIAL OBSERVER

Think it might have something to do with things like:

“Like… what even IS this article? It’s like a pitiful cry for help, not even a vague attempt at journalism.”

Which is clearly designed to exacerbate the whole thing and jump on the poor girl’s back even further. It may not seem like cyber-bullying, but really you’re just trending and joining in at the stocks. I’m sure she’s made a few mistakes over the past couple of months, but this article is no worse than anything you’d read in the Guardian (not setting the bar high) and your comment looks like you’re exorcising a personal vendetta. And really, she’s an 18 year old undergraduate, you shouldn’t expect Tolstoy. But I’ll have a read of some of your articles in a bit; I’m sure you write some prize winning stuff up in that ivory tower!

So yrrr, bit of a tit tbh.

Prasana Uthayakumar

I do engineering. I know nothing about this, but this whole convo seems like bants.

x

Darth vader

The force is strong with the Wessex Scene today. The only reason people are reading this is because it’s got the scandalous bitchy element to it that the tab article couldn’t do without the author of this piece.

Prasana Uthayakumar

I got an A* at creative writing at GCSE, thought i might put that out there innit. JUS SAYYIN’

People need to jam and stop hyping.
    Think that would be all from me.

Each and every one of you are quite frankly, pathetic. I cannot believe how many low life losers we have at this University getting in a frenzy about a desperate piece of writing – why do you care? Have you nothing better to do than fight over a very basic, boring piece of writing by a fresher? That goes for both sides of the argument – Imogen included. Good day.

Meta Troll

Hypocrisy at its greatest! You, sir, have joined our level simply by commenting. Congratulations.

World-weary

I have to a certain extent… but I am impartial to the original cause of controversy and surprised that so many people are not. So not quite.

Jon

OMG… you’re so right. Good thing you were decent enough to take time out of your incredible important existence to highlight the error of our ways. I elevate you to the status of student Demigod.

World-weary

I actually have nothing to do today – or any day for that matter haha. I am not getting hot over a silly article. I am simply astonished and interested in the interest.

Jon

Dammit my flame-baiting didn’t affect you very much. Must be a Water type.

World-weary

Hahaha her saying flame battle over and over made me laugh too 🙂

World-weary

Flame battle? Flame war* etc

This is such a boring article. The whole debate is boring. Try harder to be controversial students, a little trolling on Facebook because some creepy English students wrote erotica isn’t good enough.

Big Boi Bhadresha

YEAH YEAH YEAH IM STILL ABOUT…TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMPZ

Prasana Uthayakumar

Dun kno we got the dun kno SCRIBBLER HYPE

Tiny Donged Water Polo Captain

This whole argument is, let’s be fair, very dull. I feel a bit of sympathy for Imogen, but let’s not take ourselves too seriously, this whole debate is just an example of some students liking the sound of their own voice (or words) too much. I imagine Andre Pusey sits in his tiny, cold, lonely house and laughs at his own comments. Pusey, you need to get out more and stop insulting people you have no relation with. You are an egotistical troll who probably wouldn’t say anything you have written here to anyone’s face.

I happen to quite like the sound of Imogen’s recipes, and surely they would taste better than what you have to offer Pusey- which is probably a reheated curry from Iceland and a bag of monster munch, washed down with some tap water.

André Pusey

This is a fantastic comment, and I will give it the due attention it deserves.

1. My room is actually freezing, I hate it! Unfortunately though, I don’t laugh at my own comments; on the contrary, I regret them as soon as I post them.

2. With all due respect, you are completely wrong about not saying things to people’s faces; present me with Imogen, and I’ll say anything and everything I feel.

3. I’m way too egotistical to (1) shop at Iceland and (2) reheat food from Iceland. I also HATE tap water — I’m hugely fussy!

But thanks!

Shannon

You have a mildly irritating personality.

André Pusey

Thanks! I thought I was highly irritating, but this is fantastic news!

Shannon

I was trying to be kind. You’re mid-range, bordering on cretinous.

André Pusey

Last comment: you don’t know me. This is just me getting carried away with a silly internet argument.

Imogen

Fancy saying it to my face? 🙂

This shitstorm just won’t let up will it? Guys- stop baiting Pusey. It’s just making him reply. Ignore him and he’ll (hopefully) find something to do that doesn’t involve us being exposed to his comments.

Jon

*Pudsey