‘Southampton University: Rate Your Shag’ is a Step Too Far

36

Established earlier today, ‘Southampton University: Rate Your Shag’ is the latest Facebook page to follow in the footsteps of ‘Southampton Uni Confessions’ and ‘Spotted: Hotty in Hartley Library’. Surely this, however, is where we have to draw the line.

As I’m writing this, the page has already accumulated 401 likes in its short lifespan, and almost ten anonymous posts. The idea behind ‘Rate Your Shag’ is simple: sleep with someone, then post the details and give them a rating out of 10.

Whilst not a huge fan of the previous pages in the same vein, I can admit that they were at least harmless, and good for mildly amusing timewasting. This latest incarnation, however, has firmly crossed the boundary between humour and tastelessness.

Even in its early stages, many of the posts refer to the ‘shags’ by name. While I’m certain some will try and defend the ‘comedy’ of the page, I can’t see how it can lead to anything but personal attacks. The crude and demeaning posts will undoubtedly end up causing significant distress for those involved, and encourages a culture of anonymous offence.

It is also the reputation of the university at stake here. Not only does the page steal the official university branding for their cover photo (can’t imagine they were given permission for that), but it also presents a view on a national scale that Southampton students are like this.

Some students have voiced their disgust on the page already:

Screen shot 2013-05-27 at 15.27.56

Screen shot 2013-05-27 at 15.28.10

With any luck, enough people will report this obnoxious, degrading mess and it’ll be removed.

UPDATE: The page has now been taken down by Facebook.

Editor and MA English student. Follow on Twitter @SamEverard1