The Anti-Misogyny Twitter Bot You Didn’t Know You Wanted Is Here

Operation ‘Zero-Trollerance’ welcomes you to the future, where automated twitter bots target misogynistic trolls and tweet them self-help videos. Brilliant.

Image credit:

Twitter is notoriously bad for combating ‘trolling’ (helpfully defined on as ‘Being a prick on the internet because you can’), with Twitter CEO Dick Costolo admitting ‘we suck at dealing with trolls and abuse’.  While there is a wide range of awful and staggering abuse tweeted by people all over the world hiding behind the cover of their computer screen, there seems to  be a worryingly large amount targeted at women.

A recent study by Demos called ‘Misogyny on Twitter’ found that the words  ‘slut’ and ‘whore’ were tweeted six million times in just over a month, and alarmingly of over 100,000 Tweets mentioning ‘rape’ between 26th December 2013 and 9th February 2014, more than 1 in 10 appeared to be threatening in nature. On top of this, they were disproportionately aimed at women, and in particular women of colour. Often, people were attacked purely because of their gender.

Whilst Twitter seems unable to create a method of rooting out and stopping trolling, the Peng! Collective has launched a counter attack. Set up by a group of German activists, the new ‘Zero-Trollerance’ programme uses automated Twitter bots to detect misogynistic trolls and give them a taste of their own medicine – in a good way.

Image credit:

The programme finds and makes a note of offenders posting tweets containing anything from the Peng! Collective’s carefully constructed list of incriminating words or phrases. This includes, but is not limited to, ‘feminist bitch’, ‘fat slut’, ‘die stupid bitch’, ‘die tranny’, ‘attention seeking whore’  etc etce. Next, it passes their account names on to automated bots that start tweeting back at the trolls, sidestepping twitters anti-spam policy by using hundreds of different accounts whose offensive will go in waves, with each set of bots launching its attacks before fading away to be replaced by fresh bots.

Then, the master stroke. Over the course of six days the trolls are continually sent links to self-help videos to attempt to help them understand the consequences of the hatred they are spreading online. The (slightly tongue in cheek) videos – titled Zero Denial, Zero Internet, Zero Anger, Zero Fear, Zero Hate, and finally Zero Troll – star a motivational speaker trying to help the twitter trolls exorcise their inner-demons and become all round better human beings through the mediums of interviews with ‘reformed trolls’ and tips for dealing with the types of frustrations and anger the collective has assigned to online misogynists.

Of course there is the obvious worry that by just searching for key words in tweets the programme might throw up people who aren’t using it in a misogynistic manner, for example, if tweets are responding to trolls and quoting their abuse. This programme is far from perfect, but its a start, and the collective is also interested in rolling the programme out to include racist and homophobic language too.

The Collective claims that “for trolls, this is the first step towards a new life”, and while its jokey nature shows it is far from a serious self-help scheme, it does highlight that it is better to fight back against misogyny than to try to ignore it, and that’s a good place to start.

More articles in 21st Century Feminist
  1. Finally, A Car Made For Me, A Woman!
  2. The Telegraph Just Tried To Disguise Islamophobia With Feminism
  3. Does International Women’s Day Benefit Feminism?
  4. White Feminism : The Lack of Intersectionality Within Mainstream Feminism
  5. What I Talk About When I Talk About Men’s Feminism
  6. The ‘HeForShe’ Campaign: One Year On
  7. When Will the Media Treat Women With Respect?
  8. Vaginal Piercings to be Classified as a Form of Female Genital Mutilation
  9. Easy Ways To Take Feminist Action
  10. #50Dollarsnot50Shades: Porn From The Wrong Place
  11. Feminism Doesn’t Need A Rebrand
  12. Students Must Stand Up to Sexual Assault
  13. What does ‘Body Positivity’ really mean?
  14. Have You Seen Her? Where Are Women Going after University?
  15. Please, Don’t Mention the War
  16. I Clean, Therefore I Am
  17. 2014: The year of the feminist?
  18. Don’t ‘man up’, man your language
  19. White Feminism: Time to Ditch Our Prejudice When Faced With Our Privilege
  20. Rape Culture: Summed Up by Somebody Who Actually Has a Decent Insight into the Matter
  21. This Writer Believes That Sex Work Should Be Accepted by Society
  22. But What About The Men?
  23. Private: Breaking Barriers: Women In The LGBT Community
  24. Opposition to Religion on a Feminist Basis – An Old, Tired and Plain Bad Joke
  25. Losing the Lads’ Mags – Are we really losing our sexual liberation?
  26. The Sexist Sell
  27. Private: Coming Out of the Feminist Closet
  28. The Other Side of Feminism
  29. A Journey With Feminism And Depression
  30. Gender Wars – The Internet’s Front Line
  31. Coming out of the Feminist Closet
  32. Meninist…Feminist – Can’t We All Just Agree On Equality?
  33. What Would Quasimodo Say?
  34. ‘Yes Means Yes’ – A Change For Good?
  35. Delhi Gang Rapists: Victims of the Patriarchy?
  36. The One, or One of Many?
  37. The Anti-Misogyny Twitter Bot You Didn’t Know You Wanted Is Here
  38. The Internet Is For Porn
  39. End the Deforestation of the Female Rainforest
  40. Private: Let’s Stop Selfie Shaming
  41. ISIS Sex Slavery: Is Sexual Violence a Necessary Precondition of Conflict?
  42. Celebrities Like Taylor Swift Have Turned Feminism Into A Gimmick
  43. In Defence of 21st Century Feminism