Celebrities Like Taylor Swift Have Turned Feminism Into A Gimmick

American rapper Nicki Minaj recently used Twitter to highlight issues regarding racism and the music industry. She suggested that the reason her controversial music video for ‘Anaconda’ was not nominated for ‘Video of the Year‘, at this year’s Video Music Awards, is because she is black. Taylor Swift then (swiftly) replied with a misguided tweet, in which she misinterpreted Minaj’s tweets as an anti-feminist attack on herself.

This exchange served to not only expose the limited, superficial understanding of feminism that is usually endorsed nowadays, but also demonstrates how celebrities calling themselves feminists has become little more than a gimmick, a trend, and even a marketing ploy; instead of a genuine struggle against political and social institutions. This is why making icons out of celebrities is problematic, and can endanger the credibility of movements such as feminism.

Despite Taylor Swift’s attempt to champion gender equality, her replies to Nicki Minaj on Twitter fundamentally undermined the struggle that female ethnic minorities face across all institutions. Not only did she fail to see the point being made about race, but her comment about pitting women against each other also derailed the discussion. She inadvertently highlighted the somewhat shallow priorities of the feminist movement in popular media, these being centred around ‘girl power‘. This notion may seem synonymous with feminism, and it certainly sends a positive message, but it is hardly what the movement is about.

As a white woman, Swift’s perspective of inequality is influenced by her white feminist privilege. Her generic comment dismissed intersectionality – the fact that women of colour are simply not treated the same as white women – which was exactly what Minaj was trying to highlight. Even more bizarrely, her comment suggests that feminists can’t disagree with one another, for risk of being ‘anti-feminist‘. This is of course completely untrue as the oppression of women’s opinions is inherently anti-feminist. Coming from an artist who is currently being hailed as the biggest pop star in the world – and whose influence even allowed her to persuade Apple Music to change its policies –  her apparent ignorance of sexism in a wider context than just ‘supporting your fellow woman’ is disappointing. By assuming that she needed to defend herself, she over-zealously inserted a counter-productive comment where it simply did not belong.

Perhaps Swift’s input was just a poor over-simplification of ideology, or perhaps it was a thinly-veiled attempt to use feminism as a tool to further elevate her own image. By making such accusations (with a convenient passing reminder of men’s privilege attached to the end of the tweet) she comfortably secured her position as a saviour, leading the feminist moral crusade, whilst painting Minaj as an irrational female or ‘Angry Black Woman’. Therefore the valid points about intersectionality raised by Minaj were overshadowed by Swift transforming them in to a supposed unprovoked attack. Swift then capitalised on the ‘classy versus unhinged‘ angle taken by publications such as Glamour magazine who reported on the incident – with accompanying images carefully chosen to depict a calm and collected Swift against an obscene and wacky Minaj. This is ironic considering what her tweets actually say.

Swift’s following tweet then demonstrated a condescending display of charity, feigning sisterhood but implying that Minaj is secondary to, and even dependent on her:

Here, Swift sums up the problem with celebrities endorsing social movements; it becomes about themselves. She uses feminism and the notion of  ‘girl power‘ to, not only market herself as the older sister everyone wishes they had (despite Minaj being seven years older), but to also make it appear that the music industry needs her for the sake of equality. Certainly, the support of high-profile figures can be very valuable to the success of a movement but, when a movement becomes a hollow gimmick to pull out for publicity, it loses its credibility as a worthwhile cause. The feminist movement is bigger than a single feminist celebrity’s success, therefore by elevating herself above the rest, Swift is helping nobody but herself.

Taylor Swift’s enactment of white feminism on Twitter also proved detrimental to prompting discussion about a wider scope of issues. Although she has since apologised to Minaj, Swift’s initial eagerness to use feminist ideology to promote herself served to undermined the validity of Nicki Minaj’s points about racism and sexism in the music industry. And Swift’s enormous influence in the media today unfortunately encourages others to do the same. More frequently people are appropriating the feminist movement to fit their own aims, and frankly the brand of feminism that they advocate is one that barely scratches the surface.

More articles in 21st Century Feminist
  1. Finally, A Car Made For Me, A Woman!
  2. The Telegraph Just Tried To Disguise Islamophobia With Feminism
  3. Does International Women’s Day Benefit Feminism?
  4. White Feminism : The Lack of Intersectionality Within Mainstream Feminism
  5. What I Talk About When I Talk About Men’s Feminism
  6. The ‘HeForShe’ Campaign: One Year On
  7. When Will the Media Treat Women With Respect?
  8. Vaginal Piercings to be Classified as a Form of Female Genital Mutilation
  9. Easy Ways To Take Feminist Action
  10. #50Dollarsnot50Shades: Porn From The Wrong Place
  11. Feminism Doesn’t Need A Rebrand
  12. Students Must Stand Up to Sexual Assault
  13. What does ‘Body Positivity’ really mean?
  14. Have You Seen Her? Where Are Women Going after University?
  15. Please, Don’t Mention the War
  16. I Clean, Therefore I Am
  17. 2014: The year of the feminist?
  18. Don’t ‘man up’, man your language
  19. White Feminism: Time to Ditch Our Prejudice When Faced With Our Privilege
  20. Rape Culture: Summed Up by Somebody Who Actually Has a Decent Insight into the Matter
  21. This Writer Believes That Sex Work Should Be Accepted by Society
  22. But What About The Men?
  23. Private: Breaking Barriers: Women In The LGBT Community
  24. Opposition to Religion on a Feminist Basis – An Old, Tired and Plain Bad Joke
  25. Losing the Lads’ Mags – Are we really losing our sexual liberation?
  26. The Sexist Sell
  27. Private: Coming Out of the Feminist Closet
  28. The Other Side of Feminism
  29. A Journey With Feminism And Depression
  30. Gender Wars – The Internet’s Front Line
  31. Coming out of the Feminist Closet
  32. Meninist…Feminist – Can’t We All Just Agree On Equality?
  33. What Would Quasimodo Say?
  34. ‘Yes Means Yes’ – A Change For Good?
  35. Delhi Gang Rapists: Victims of the Patriarchy?
  36. The One, or One of Many?
  37. The Anti-Misogyny Twitter Bot You Didn’t Know You Wanted Is Here
  38. The Internet Is For Porn
  39. End the Deforestation of the Female Rainforest
  40. Private: Let’s Stop Selfie Shaming
  41. ISIS Sex Slavery: Is Sexual Violence a Necessary Precondition of Conflict?
  42. Celebrities Like Taylor Swift Have Turned Feminism Into A Gimmick
  43. In Defence of 21st Century Feminism