Entertainment Round-Up: 21st March

0

Is Dizzee Rascal set to star in a new comedy series? The makers of ‘The Inbetweeners’ are rumoured to have hired the services of the London born star for a show about a rapper, but it is not sure whether he will be appearing in the show or working behind the scenes. One source stated, “Dizzee is a big personality with loads of charisma and the writers think he would be the ideal subject for the show”.

Dizzee Rascal
Dizzee Rascal has previously eluded to his acting ambitions, stating he wouldn't mind being the next James Bond

The popular Nightlife Exchange project, orchestrated by vodka giant Smirnoff, is bringing it’s Miami Tour to Southampton this May. In competition with Swansea, thousands of fans attempted to vote within the closing minutes, causing the application to crash, meaning the project was awarded to both Southampton and Swansea for the same night. The night will feature the ‘best of Miami’, including a performance from US DJ Damaged Goods, cocktails, a lounge bar and carnival entertainment. Southampton and Swansea will be the final stops on the Miami Tour, after visiting Edinburgh and Hatfield in March.

At the recent Royal Television Awards, Miranda Hart picked up two accolades for her semiautobiographical sitcom Miranda. Professor Brian Cox was chosen as best presenter for BBC2 show Wonders of The Universe, which also won best science and natural history programme. Best entertainment show went to ITV’s The X Factor, which is currently being recreated in the US, whilst best soap was won by Eastenders. Contemporary version of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic Sherlock won best drama series and surprise winner at the British Comedy Awards, Horrible Histories, won best children’s programme.

On 31st March, the first feature film of electro dance group The Prodigy will be screened in 70 cinemas across the UK. Directed by Paul Dugdale, for one night only fans will be able to see the film based on the Warriors Dance festival gig in Milton Keynes Bowl last July. World’s On Fire was engineered by Liam Howlett himself, and will screen at 21:00 at the Odeon cinema Southampton.

Sensational dance trio Faithless are splitting up after 15 years together. Maxi Jazz, Sister Bella and Rollo released their sixth and final album ‘The Dance’ in 2010, and have released a statement saying, “I think we’ve probably made our collective point by now and that it’s time to close the book and return to the library”. Their current tour is now functioning as a chance to say goodbye and thank you to the fans, with the send off finishing with three dates in the UK in early April.

Blur and Gorillaz frontman, Damon Albarn, is to star in a musical premiering in July at the Manchester International Festival. Co-written by Albarn, ‘Doctor Dee’ is about 16th century alchemist, astrologer and Elizabeth I’s scientific adviser John Dee. The show will move on from the MIF to the home of the English National Opera as part of London’s Cultural Olympiad. Albarn’s Chinese opera ‘Monkey: Journey To The West’ was popular at the first MIF in 2004, which he wrote but did not star in.