Entertainment Round-up: 18th April

0

The next swashbuckling instalment in the popular Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, On Stranger Tides, is to be shown out of competition at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival. The next adventure follows Captain Jack Sparrow on the trail of the fountain of youth, where he comes to blows with Blackbeard, played by Ian McShane. Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush and Kevin McNally remain from the principal cast, and are joined by Penelope Cruz and a second appearance from legendary guitarist Keith Richards. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides will be released in the UK on 20th May.

Spotify is cutting the amount of free music available to users by half. From May, users will also be limited to 5 listens per track, however, new users will get six months free content before changes occur. Fans of the free service have accused Spotify of moving towards a paid service, something which Spotify denies. Ken Parks, Spotify’s chief content officer said, “Everything we do is designed to ensure our users continue to have access to an amazing free experience”.

An exact replica of The King’s Graceland estate has been built in Randers, Denmark, housing nearly 6,000 Elvis items. The project, which has the blessing from Elvis’ widow Priscilla, is a tribute to the musician and is hoping to attract 50,000 visitors a year. The house will be known as Graceland Randers and is twice the size to squeeze in a shop, restaurant and museum featuring guitars, clothes and letters belonging to The King.

An advertising firm has apologised for an “unfortunate juxtaposition” when they placed a billboard for the Channel 5 series The Walking Dead on the side of a funeral parlour. The poster for the post apocalyptic drama has now been removed from the funeral parlour in County Durham, and an alternative design put in its place.

Plan B, Laura Marling and Tinie Tempah are confirmed artists for this year’s Glastonbury Festival, joining headliners U2, Coldplay and Beyonce. Pendulum, Paolo Nutini and Two Door Cinema Club will play the Pyramid Stage, with Morrissey warming up the crowd before U2 on the opening night. Elbow, Cee Lo Green, Jessie J and Stornaway will join those already been announced, including Mumford and Sons and Primal Scream. For the full line-up, visit http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/.