Lover’s Walk Renamed ‘Sunshine Avenue’

19

In a joint effort between the city council and the university, Lover’s Walk is going to be henceforth known as ‘Sunshine Avenue’ in a bid to rebrand the notorious passageway.

The path running from Glen Eyre down to Avenue Campus is known for being poorly lit and as being the site of a number of assaults, and it was recently decided that it was in need of an urgent image change.

“We were worried that with all the bad press Lover’s Walk gets and the negative connotations with the name, nobody was using it anymore,” said a spokesman from the council. “Using £100,000 of our funding, we embarked on a huge marketing drive to think of ways to show people how fun Lover’s Walk could be. We feel that Sunshine Avenue was the name that best showed how fun and definitely not dangerous the route can be. You’d walk home down Sunshine Avenue, wouldn’t you? Of course you would!”

The new name will come into effect at the start of next week. “Sure, we could have put some more lighting along the path, but that’s not really a solution,” continued the spokesman. “The problem is all mental, really. We just need to get people using the path again. We’re even having a local primary school design the signpost.”

The next area considered for rebranding by the council will be the Flowers Estate, with the proposed title of ‘Concrete Meadows’. Other names considered for the route included ‘Safe Street’ and ‘Paradise Lane’. The name ‘Just Find A Different Way Home Road’ was rejected at an earlier stage.

Editor and MA English student. Follow on Twitter @SamEverard1

Sure, it might change perceptions of it, but when you’ve walked down there on a winter’s early evening and it’s literally pitch black, you realise it definitely needs some actual lighting… Can’t understand how rebranding it cost £100.000 – money that could have been spent on some lights.

Malcolm

Do you realise how expensive signs are? £100k is good value imo.

“The problem is all mental…” What the…? So the issue of being assaulted down there is all mental is it? Dafuq. Sounds like a waste of money as well. Not sure how thinking about it better is going to stop you being whacked by some stranger.

Hello,

After reading this short article on the renaming of Lovers Walk, I have come to a number of conclusions.

First of all, the changing of said pathway’s name will not decrease its notoriety, and will have no effect on the inevitability of further assaults.

Secondly, the proposition that further lighting will not benefit the safety of the path users is completely irrational in every sense. The safety of the path users should be the main priority, not the reputation of the area.
    By suggesting that the primary issue is psychological, those in charge of this initiative are avoiding addressing the fundamental issue of reducing the crime levels in this area.

Finally, by associating the path with positive connotations, increased numbers of the public may be encouraged to use the path in it’s current state. As a result this will contradict the original intentions of the project by possibly assisting an elevation in crime.

What really needs to be done is the implementation of physical action in the area surrounding “Sunshine Avenue”.

The best thing about this is reading other articles by the same author. Sexual Assault, Sexual Assault, Joke about Sexual Assault with added snide bourgeois quip about a council estate, Sexual Assault.

Stay classy Sam.

Sam Everard

Wow, ok.

1. I report the news as part of my job. Unfortunately, there are a lot of sexual assaults around here at the moment. Are you insinuating that somehow this is something I’m influencing? What you’ve written is pretty offensive.

2. There is no way I’m making a joke out of sexual assault here. The piece is a satire on how nothing’s been done about the Lover’s Walk area. Again, deeply offensive to suggest and really misguided.

Bourgeois, fine. But your accusations are pretty serious.

Urgh

I can only assume that you are being intentionally naive. A girl was attacked there not 2 months ago.The implications of making light of these subjects is clear, and it is only indicative of your male privilege that you cannot see why this can be seen as offensive.

Harry

Urgh is the kind of person who hears the word monkey used in a story about being positive and immediately accuses the user of being racist.

Urgh

Again, it’s about context. With the England manager it was a story about a monkey with unfortunate connotations. You can imagine him coming to the end, turning towards Andros and thinking “ooooh, shit. I didn’t think this one through.” There was clearly no intent.

However, reporting on sexual assaults and then making light of the area’s reputation in the next breath does somewhat undermine journalistic credibility. Or, maybe I’m just a leftie stick in the mud, and maybe rape jokes are great and anybody who thinks you should respect a recently raped 16 year old girl is just a bit faggy and should strap a bollock on.

Beth

I may be missing something, but where in this article is it making light of sexual assault? The answer you’re looking for my dear is ‘nowhere’. This piece, as the author has already stated, is making fun of and hence criticizing the councils ability to improve lovers walk. It has a serious message that something must be done about it. Please don’t assume the worst of the author when there is no evidence to back up your claims. Cheers

Urgh

Sorry, I think in the immediate aftermath of a sexual assault the notion of writing an article about a name change to “sunshine avenue” clearly makes light of what has just happened there. It’s a matter of tone, tact and sensitivity; regardless of the meaning. My assumption that the author is an insensitive misogynist is due to the content of this rape apology.

Urgh, you're boring me

Clearly you’ve interpreted the tone, tact and sensitivity in a completely different way to the people who have shared this article. I think you misunderstand – the author isn’t making light of the rape at all! He’s actually highlighting that more should be done to stop things like that occurring.

He uses humour to get his point across. A news article does little else than report what’s happening. Sometimes humour works better than tragic news stories.

I’d recommend you change your “assumption” because you’re very wrong.

Urgh

Well clearly this isn’t a very successful attempt at humour, as judging by the comments a lot of people didn’t realise that it was supposed to be a joke.

Nevertheless, it seems to be an odd hubris that you feel you are able to dictate how people feel about things. I personally find this article offensive due to the connotations imparted by recent events. Its not something you can be right or wrong about. You obviously don’t find it particularly offensive, I wouldn’t say that you are “very wrong”.

I have interpreted the tone as being a bit superior (you’d think by now that those in the privileged position to attend university wouldn’t be making snarky little comments about council estates “HAAAA poor people”), and I don’t really detect any tact or sensitivity.