Scene This?: The Miming Madness of David Armand

0

Ever noticed the small person on your television providing sign language for the deaf so they too can enjoy a TV programme? Well forget that because David Armand is in another league.

He first took off, under the alter ego Johann Lippowitz, performing Natalie Imbruglia’s Torn and shot to fame performing that song on The Secret Policeman’s Ball:

But as we all know one performance does not a genius make. So he carried on as Johann performing to other songs, here appearing on BBC Three performing Oasis’ Don’t Look Back In Anger and Paul Young’s Wherever I Lay My Hat.

From here it carried on. A rather washed out Armand here performing Michael Jackson’s Man in the Mirror.

And then, in 2011, he was invited to take part in the improvisational comedy series Fast and Loose. In this Armand performed his now trademark routines while two members of the team wore headphones, guessing the song. these songs include Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now

…The Killers’ Human

…Britney Spears’ Hit Me Baby One More Time

…The Bangles’ Eternal Flame

…Phil Collins’ You Can’t Hurry Love

…George Michael’s Careless Whisper

…Wet Wet Wet’s Love Is All Around

and Carley Simon’s You’re So Vain.

A sure sign that the series was a success was that the Americans wanted a version and for their series, called Trust us with your life, David Armand also took part. They too took the guessing part of Fast and Loose but made them relevant to the celebrity guest. As they’re only extracts I won’t extend this article any longer, but I will post the links below:

History student and passionate writer about everything connected to Southampton and its rich tapestry of stories and history.

Due to an unfortunate case of graduation, this writer is no longer active.