The Egypt Crisis: What Egyptians really think.

3

From the multiple protests, it has been surmised that the Egyptians want ‘President’ Hosni Mubarak gone. However, it does not necessarily tell us what they really want. Do all Egyptians want Mubarak gone? Or do they just want a change in the way their country’s run? I interviewed three Egyptians, to see what they really think.

Ihab Kandil; 2nd Year University Student.

Why he thinks it all happened;

Well, in general what the Egyptians want at this stage is well known; Mubarak must leave, the constitution must change, emergency law must be canceled.
But in order to truly understand, why this all happened we must look at the bigger picture.
Egypt, since the Mamluk period hs been ruled by leaders that were narrow minded, under qualified, unpopular and above all seeking their own interests.
For years the Egyptians stood still, they watched other nations advance socially, economically and politically.
And that is the biggest problem of all.
Egyptians posses so much potential yet this never seems to be acknowledged or made use of. On the contrary, our leaders for the past years have been suppressing us in every aspect of our lives.
The Mubarak period specifically, witnessed an incredible amount of corruption, economic set-backs and most importantly political suppression by his police forces.
The revolution that happened was meant to restore what they once had. The Egyptians are fighting to restore their dignity. Its a fight for justice.

What he wants;

All the Egyptians want, is to see Egypt like every other country. One where they can choose their leaders, have political freedom, seek economic prosperity and above all one where their rights will be fully respected.

Zeina Samy; Year 13 student.

On what she thought of the protests and Mubaraks’ response:

I’m not surprised in anyway that there’s been somewhat of a revolution in Egypt; the people have been suppressed for decades! If you spoke to anyone on the streets of Egypt 15 years ago they would’ve told you they want Mubarak gone. There just hasn’t been any bravery, people have lived in fear of the army and the police. I’m proud of what people have finally found the courage to do.

Originally, Mubarak leaving in 6 months seemed like a good idea; until I saw his retaliation to the protests – men on horseback and camel-back as well as the continuation of the curfews. It reminded me of the reasons why people wanted him gone in the first place.

On what she wants now;

In place of Mubarak… well that’s a tough one. It’s too early to decide which politician is being just and which one isn’t. I think Mohammed El-Baradie isn’t a great choice, he has all the enthusiasm in the world but he’s just not a politician! He’s a scientist! Omar Solaiman is someone I’m looking at. He seems to be saying a few things these days which are more pro-Mubarak but honestly I think he MIGHT be biding his time until he can seize power properly (i.e. not corrupt). Then again I’m not sure.

Whether it’s a democracy stylised after the West that she wants;

Democracy would be terrific but establishing it immediately may be difficult. But in the next 5 years I’d love to see Egypt move towards democracy!

Not everyone actually wants Mubarak gone:

I think most people have my view, but there are pro-Mubarak people. I have a friend who is pro-Mubarak but she’s basically bored of staying at home and she just wants to go out but she can’t until these protests are done.

Ahmed Hassanein; 2nd Year University Student.

What he wants;

1. Much lower (or no) taxes, especially on things like real estate, cars, etc.
2. Lower food prices.
3. Better Education.
4. Better job opportunities.
5. Less Authority for the police and military forces.

And whether a regime-change is the answer:

There is no specific person/group of people I want at the moment to take over BUT I definitely want either a change in the government or a change in it’s actions. They now know what can happen if the people’s demands aren’t met. Basically I’m fine with anyone who can improve the quality of life for everyone in Egypt, even if it’s the same regime with all of it’s members as well as the current president as long as they start taking positive action for real.

“I think Mohammed El-Baradie isn’t a great choice, he has all the enthusiasm in the world but he’s just not a politician! He’s a scientist! ”

Well, that doesn’t make any sense… I scientist probably knows more about how the world really works then some politician. If you look at what a scientist has to understand before he is called a “scientist” then you will quickly realise that they are very able when it comes to problem solving. Isn’t that what a politician is there to do, solve problems?

Great Article though!

Fouad.

Zeina

I never said he wasn’t able! Of course he is. It’s really a matter of whether or not he, as an individual, is capable of being a figurehead to Egypt right now.

Also, I’d just like to say that I predict a lot of shuffling of all types of ‘ministers’ over the next few years. I think Egypt will be fairly politically unstable for awhile.