Focus On: Israel/Palestine- The Wessex Scene Presents A Week of Articles

5

The Middle East is always in the news. You barely get a week without a peace agreement being broken, a new settlement being built or deaths on one side or another of the conflict.

Yet much of this news disappears. There is little debate about what goes on, and the media does not do much to explain the background of the conflict.

This week, Politics present a series of articles by a variety of students, with the aim of providing both these things: some background, and hopefully some debate.

It should be said at the outset that the articles represent the writer’s own viewpoint. The Wessex Scene has taken no editorial direction, other than to encourage writers to express their views. Personally, as the editor responsible for the series, I would like to emphasise that I don’t agree with everything said, but equally I don’t feel in a position to edit, or decline to publish, the views of other students.

This is a controversial topic, and some of the opinions expressed are controversial. If you disagree with what is written, we welcome comments on the articles. Remember, we’re just students, no one claims to be an expert on the conflict, and no one should expect us to be incapable of making mistakes.

If you want to go beyond just leaving a comment, I will offer a window of one week after the end of the series to publish articles responding to what has been written. If you want to do that, send an e-mail to politics@wessexscene.co.uk, which should also be used for any other comments on the series.

All that remains is to thank the writers who took part, we have some really strong, informative content, and I would encourage you to keep checking the website and to get involved in the debates.

The series of articles will run as follows:

Monday- The Genesis of the Conflict- part 1

Tuesday- The Genesis of the Conflict- part 2

Wednesday- Comment article: The Gross Mistake

Thursday- Response: Blind Fascism?

Friday- An Outline of the Current Major Issues

Saturday- Where Next? The Future for Israel and Palestine

Does anyone remember an article in the Wessex Scene last year, in the travel section; it was about Ein Gedi (if i remember correctly), a tourist destination in Southern Israel. However what the article failed to mention was that many of these “natural forests” are far from natural. They actually cover up former Palestinian villages that were wiped out in (or since) 1948. Most of the forests in Israel are not indigenous to the land but imported for this purpose. The article also mentioned all bordering countries but somehow left out Palestine. The article referred to Jerusalem as the capital of Israel which is simply not true. I wrote a detailed letter to the author last year and asked for clarification and an apology, nothing came to pass though.

There is a push to boycott Israeli products and the TUC voted a few years ago to boycott settlement goods. This article failed to relate important details.

This series, however, is a much better direction…

peace.

Samuel Gilonis

Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. The embassies and financial sector are in Tel Aviv, but Jerusalem is still the official capital.

Martin Ruddock

The status of Jerusalem is a controversial point even within law and a source of much conflict.

While you maybe correct that the Israeli government places embassies and the such in Jerusalem, it is not the internationally recognised capital of Israel; that would be Tel Aviv. There are good reasons why the Israeli government try to use this as a hub and why Zionists go around Jerusalem buying land and housing in both east and west parts of the city – there are political consequences on any proposed settlement if Zionists ‘own’ much of the city. Even despite forced evictions, when Palestinians are literally dumped on the street while Zionists move into their homes.

According to the UN Jerusalem is meant to be an ‘international city’ with no definition of what this means in practice.

It should be remembered that most countries around the world refuse to acknowledge Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. I think the current EU position remains that Jerusalem is not the capital, though they seem to be changing their minds in favour of a joint capital for both Israel and Palestine.

So unless you are taking a purely Zionist stance on the status of Jerusalem it is hard to appreciate it as the capital of Israel.

Martin

Sorry I misread your post Sam, when i wrote my reply I was thinking of the British consulate in Jerusalem. It done a really good thing a few years ago when Israel banned a bookfair in Jerusalem; it put the bookfair on it’s premises.