No Palin Challenge For Obama

0

After months of uncertainty and speculation, it appears that Sarah Palin will not be running as the Republican candidate for the 2012 Presidential Election.

Despite stepping down from her position as Alaskan Governor two years early, as well as declaring this year that “It’s time that a woman is president of the United States of America”, she herself has pulled out of the Republican  race.

The highly controversial figure, who many tipped to win the ‘Grand Old Party’ nomination, has officially told supporters of her decision that her priorities lie elsewhere.

In her letter, she declared that “family comes first” and that she and her husband, Todd, had “put great consideration into family life before making this decision.” As a result, she will be not be challenging Barack Obama in the 2012 Presidential Election.

The move puts into question whether the Republicans can truly muster a real challenge to Obama’s presidency, despite much unpopularity and unrest with the Democrats, as few have the prominence or fame of Palin in both America’s domestic and global politics.

Despite being seen somewhat as a figure of fun within the international realm, Palin has much support in her native US, though remains a rather divisive figure. The most recent poll showed two-thirds of Republicans did not want her to stand as a candidate.

However, with two best-selling books and her own television show entitled ‘Sarah Palin’s Alaska’, the decision of the key leader of the conservative Tea Party movement will be seen as a bitter blow by many Republican supporters.

Indeed, Palin’s move seems to result in a two-way battle between Mitt Romney, a 2008 Republican nominee who lost to John McCain, and Texas Governor, Rick Perry. Certainly, this will be taken with some sigh of relief at the White House, as despite being contentious, Palin’s status and amount of support would have been a real threat to Obama; albeit, as a wildcard.

Nevertheless, Palin has declared she will still throw her support behind the Republican candidate and hoped to play a “decisive role to help elect other true public servants to office.

And, no doubt, this is not the last we will see from a Palin challenge herself. A bid for the White House may still be launched in 2016; in fact, it may possess a better chance with Obama’s Presidency coming to an end – if he wins the 2012 Election, his two terms will be up.

A female president in 2016? You never know.