What Women Want: Some Preposterous Republican Statements on Rape

0

Although we (rightly) place great emphasis on the elections of world leaders, the politicians below them have to win elections too. And so they should; they literally create the laws of the land, so it is only by airing sensible and cogent arguments that they are able to win elections and hold public office.

Just kidding. Here is a handful of the most misleading and egregious comments on rape; all of which happen to come from Republican (and Tea Party-backed) politicians and voters.

On the victim’s body:If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.’ – Todd Akin, Congressman from Missouri, running for Senator

Todd Akin is a congressman who somehow sits on the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology. He doesn’t quite explain what makes a rape ‘legitimate’.

On how purported rape victims may just be married women seeking abortions:I would hope that when a woman goes in to a physician with a rape issue, that physician will indeed ask her about perhaps her marriage, was this pregnancy caused by normal relations in a marriage or was it truly caused by rape.’ – Chuck Winder, Senator from Idaho

Here Senator Winder states that pregnant rape victims should be questioned on whether or not they were actually raped. The implication that women would lie about being raped to make it easier to get an abortion is bad enough, but the promotion of a society in which a woman would feel she had to lie about something so traumatising is arguably worse.

On how female soldiers should expect to be raped because of their work environment: …there has been, since 2006, a 64% increase in violent sexual assaults. Now, what did they expect? These people are in close contact.’ – Liz Trotta, conservative commentator

Romney & Republican Senate Murdock Candidate campaigning together

Words begin to fail me at this point. The discussion on Fox News concerned women in the military, and increases in rape and ‘violent sexual assault’ against female soldiers. Victim-blaming for any case of rape is deplorable, but when a soldier is fighting to serve her country, the implication that sexual assault is to be ‘expected’ is downright offensive to both the survivor of rape and our armed forces both here and abroad.

On what rape victims who fall pregnant should do:I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created – in the sense of rape – but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you… we have to make the best out of a bad situation.’ – Rick Santorum, Senator from Pennsylvania

(Criticism of Rick Santorum made redundant by Rick Santorum)

On how to make the best out of the situation: ‘Even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, it is something God intended to happen’ – Richard Mourdouck, current Indiana State treasure

Mourdock, whose running for Senator for Indiana, said these comments during a debate with his democratic rival, indicating a stance that suggests he believe abortion should be banned even in cases of incest or rape; a comment both demeaning and outrageous, taking away a womens’ freedom of choice.

With so many cases of idiotic remarks about women – these are not isolated comments – it shows the real beliefs and views of the Republican party who, in many cases, are likely to have their representatives elected. The leader of the party is one step away from the White House.

Should women have freedom of choice? Not according to this lot…

I'm Colin, and I'm a first year student from Birmingham studying economics and actuarial science. I'm into politics, jazz, American football, and posting avatar pictures where I look too serious (it was the only one that fit, sorry Ellie!). I aim to cover the big political stories both here and abroad, and if any of you love the NFL too, then you might see my writing in the Sport section as well.