VP Democracy and Creative Industries Candidate Jon North

0

Name: Jon North

Age: 21 jn9g10

Degree Subject: BSc Population and Geography

Position/s Held:

• Amnesty International President (2011/12)
  • Stop The Traffik Publicity Officer (2011/12)
  • Light Operatic Society Publicity Officer (2011/12)
  • Fish On Toast Head of Graphic Design (Dec 2011/12)
  • VP Demography

Experience: 

• Theatre Group
  • Showstoppers
  • FemSoc
  • WaterAid
  • Wessex Scene writer

Campaign Slogan:

• Go North
  • Pushing SUSU in the Right Direction

Strength: Experience in lots of areas

Interview

1. Why did you decide to run for this position? 

My main reason for running was to give something back to SUSU. I also think that I am the best person for this job given my wide breadth of experience within SUSU. Democracy is definitely something I’m very passionate about, having been the President of Amnesty International society. I’m very involved with Performing Arts and I want to be there to make sure some big changes are made possible.

2. What has been your best experience since you have been involved with SUSU? 

That’s a really tough question, I can’t really close in on just one event, I’ve had so many great experiences. But I suppose my best experiences have been the shows I have been involved in. It’s probably that moment when you’ve finished a big show where you realise it’s done and you’ve all done a great job, there’s no better feeling. Not really a specific experience but one which I’ve had a few times over, but that feeling never gets old.

3. What makes YOU the best candidate for the job?

I’ve got experience over a huge range of different societies and I think that helps. But also I listen to people and I find out what their issues are. If you look at my manifesto you’ll see I’ve gone to every single society in Performing Arts and Media and I’ve given a run down of the issues I think they might be facing and given realistic solutions. Accountability is the other one, I think if the Sabbs make decisions then they should be held to account so I’ll be out on the concourse and won’t disappear into the depths of SUSU. If I’m not doing my job I want people to pull me out and ask me why.

4. SUSU Media departments have been collaborating more and more this year in light of this, firstly do you think it’s a good idea and secondly how would you like collaboration between media departments to improve?

Firstly I think that collaboration is always a good thing. In my Presidency with Amnesty I pushed for collaboration with other societies, we did some stuff with FemSoc last semester. You meet new people and you get new, fresh ideas. In terms of Media specifically I’ve heard that communication between media departments has been a problem so far with elections coverage, this is something we need to address. I think one area that Media departments should be collaborating more on is AU coverage. There’s a massive proportion of our students taking part in sport and it’s a huge part of our uni culture but we don’t hear about it.

5. How will you go about integrating Union Films and Performing Arts into the Creative Industries Zone and making all the separate student groups work together?

I’ve got a lot of love for Union Films. The question is whether they need to be integrated into the Creative Industries zone completely or whether they should remain independent but supported by the zone. I think Union Films are one of SUSU’s best assets, they know what they are doing and they do it well. Having said that, I do want to promote cross-society events. PA at the moment is quite separate from the media departments, it is a huge organisation and is a self-running entity and has it’s own budget.

6. What is the biggest thing you want to change with regard to Democracy. 

The biggest change I want to implement is a clear sense of accountability. I want to hold all Sabbs to account because there seems to be real antipathy about what is going on in the Union at the moment. One of the questions on e-choice was about implementing a weekly comment on the Wessex Scene. I think we need more than just blogs so I want to hold weekly sessions where students can drop in and ask the Sabbs burning questions. I want the new Sabbs to be approachable and for every student to feel like they can make a difference.

View Jon North’s manifesto HERE

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)