Last Week in Politics: Energy Price Freeze, Germany’s Re-Election and Tory Wars

4

It has often been said that a week is a long time in politics.  If this is indeed the case, some sort of round-up of the week’s political events might very well be in order.  So, without further ado, here follows the first in a new series of a Wessex Scene weekly political round-up (sounds a bit like a Stalinist purge of political opponents, but let’s gloss over that). 

Labour in Brighton

The main story of the week was undoubtedly the unbridled thrill of the Labour Party conference in Brighton.  Ed Miliband’s interview with Andrew Marr on Sunday was rather lacklustre, with the Labour leader giving answers so vague, they could be used in a master-class for fortune tellers. However, we didn’t have to wait long for Ed to show his hand.  On Tuesday, Miliband gave his keynote speech to conference, in which he undeniably shifted Labour to the left.  He announced that a future Labour government would, among other things, ensure that energy prices would not rise until 2017 and increase council powers to forcibly purchase land from developers.

Untitled

The centre-right press criticized this as a return to the bad old days of the 1970s and even the I dubbed the Labour leader as “Mugabe Miliband”, due to the land seizures policy.  It is yet to be seen if the energy price freeze policy will translate to a boost in Labour’s opinion poll ratings.  However, when it was road tested in focus groups, the popularity was very high.  At any rate, it puts the Conservatives in an awkward position.  By opposing price controls, the Tories could easily portray a message that falls right into Labour’s narrative – namely, that they are on the side of big energy companies, not the ordinary voter.  With the Conservatives maintaining radio silence until their conference in Manchester this coming week, we shall have to wait a while for a proper response.

Boris Johnson MP?

unti

After the Red scourge had left Brighton, Boris Johnson reared his blonde and unkempt head.  In an interview with the FT, he said:

During the whole Syria thing, for the first time in years I wished I was in parliament.

Throughout the interview, he consistently hinted at a return to the Commons when his term as London mayor comes to an end.  Not just that, but he also hinted that he might challenge for the leadership.  This will undoubtedly worry other contenders, particularly Theresa May, the current Home Secretary – Boris is undeniably the most popular politician in the Conservative party, if not the UK.  So, watch out for Tory Wars: The Return of the BoJo.

Germany votes – still no government

In global political news, the CDU achieved re-election as the largest party in Germany’s parliament, the Bundestag.  Thus, Angela Merkel remains as Chancellor.  However, their coalition partners (the FDP) received no seats, meaning that Merkel’s centre-right party might have to enter into coalition talks with the left-leaning SPD, which is also the second largest party in the Bundestag.  At the time of writing, no coalition has been agreed, despite elections occurring a week ago.

And that concludes the round-up of the week’s main political news.  Next week: Conservative Party conference – hurrah!

“It is yet to be seen if the energy price freeze policy will translate to a boost in Labour’s opinion poll ratings.” …. Yet to be seen? Every national poll has said it has boosted the Labour vote!

http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/tory-conference/55358/ed-miliband-gets-big-poll-boost-how-can-tories-respond

Joel Jackson

Thanks for reading. You’re right to bring up the YouGov poll, which indeed showed a boost in support for Labour. However, I wrote this article on Saturday and the YouGov poll wasn’t released until Sunday. What’s also interesting to note are the polls released by Populus and ComRes since then, neither of which show any boost; so not every national poll has shown a boost.

The second largest party in the Bundestag is called SPD (Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands) not SDP which would be more logical if you take the English translation. Also it is important to say that Merkel also thinks about going into coalition with the Green Party, the smallest fraction in the Bundestag. Both SPD and Greens lean center-left and were campaigning against Merkel. Both are in favour of a Minimum Wage and higher taxation for the wealthy. Merkels conservative CDU disagrees with that. It will be hard for Merkel to form a coalition. There could be very well be a re-election or a CDU Minority Government.

Joel Jackson

Thanks for reading. My apologies; that was a typo and shall be corrected. From what I have read, senior politicians in the CSU have ruled out a coalition with the Greens. Also, this week, Merkel will enter into talks with the SPD, so it looks more likely that a grand coalition will be formed (as in 2005), instead of a Schwarz-Grün government,