Egypt – One Step Farther From Democracy

2

The Egyptian riots originated from a fundamental problem. The Muslim Brotherhood insisted that their ruling has a strong basis of public approval and the Military claimed that the Muslim Brotherhood was acting against the publics wishes.

Democracy is a tricky thing. Mohamed Morsi, as the first democratically elected president of Egypt, has hardly contributed anything to democracy in Egypt. The Muslim Brotherhood, Morsi’s party, refused to infuse western democratic elements into Egypt’s politics but continued on the idea of “Sharia’s supremacy”: that religious ruling is supreme. The term “Islamic Republic” refers to these Islamic law governed countries.

The Muslim Brotherhood upheld their “moral ground”, which was hardly a solid foundation as the election was held shortly after Hosni Mubarak, the fourth president of Egypt and a well-known dictator, was deposed and before the public could made up their mind. The Muslim Brotherhood is a multi-national Islamic group: the only thing they abide by is Islam, but never the country they occupy – Egypt, in this case. It is fair to say that the Muslim Brotherhood has never planned to integrate western democracy into their governance.

Politics is a tricky thing. Morsi was conferred presidential power by the public through an open and subjectively constitutional election, but was deposed only by the military force and a short speech delivered by Abdel El-Sisi, the command-in-chief of the Egyptian Armed Forces. Even if the Muslim Brotherhood agrees to another open and considerate election, is it possible to ensure that similar incidents will not arise again? In Egypt, legality appears to be fragile. After all, western democracy is not something for everyone and, at present, Islamic countries.

It is not always black or white. Morsi was objectively a white-terrorist and terrible president. Nevertheless, was the protest that imminent and dangerous that the massacre against Morsi’s supporters was necessary? The military force even classified the protest as “preparation for a terrorist attack”. In order to prevent disastrous consequences, the forces in charge think the sacrifice of blood is inevitable.

Algeria’s coup d’état led to its seven-year civil war in 1992, and the situation in Egypt is looking scarily similar. Algeria’s outbreak of civil war was because of the fear of an Islamist government, and that was precisely why the public in Egypt were against the Muslim Brotherhood. Analysts predicted that Egypt will repeat Algeria’s history, and now it seems more likely by the day.

Now, Egypt has taken one step farther from ideal democracy.

Animated Films, Design, Music, Writing my passion for living

So military forces imprisoning more than thousands of Egyptian women, whilst the Egyptian women have been treated badly since the US funded Egyptian military coup took place — aren’t ‘objectively a terrorist’?

Hmm what did Egypt and Algeria also have in common?

Oh yes history of enduring colonialism.

Egypt is the second largest recipient of foreign aid from the US after Israel. The Egyptian military industrial complex controls over than an estimation of 40% of the Egyptian economy over which they pay no taxes or share with the rest of the population sinking in poverty.