Parliamentary Candidate Interview – Labour’s Rowenna Davis

In the run up to the 2015 General Election, Wessex Scene are interviewing the candidates running in Southampton Itchen. Here, I interview Rowenna Davis, Labour candidate for Southampton Itchen. 2f7rni01_400x400

1. What will be your number one priority if elected?

Jobs and wages in our city – in the past, Southampton had a massive manufacturing tradition based on the port. We used to have Ford and Pirelli and as soon as people left school they could get an apprenticeship there and get a decent job. Now, a lot of those industries have died away and the only jobs that seem to be replacing them most of the time are zero-hour contract jobs that are on very low wages. I volunteer in the Food Bank near my home in Bitterne Park and it is shocking to see that in Southampton we see so many people who can’t afford to feed their families. Many of them are working – it is just that their wages are so low and the cost of living is so high that you can’t bring up a kid on those wages.

I think that a really good thing for me to do as an MP in the first hundred days is to meet a hundred employers across the South-East and say, “Hey, why aren’t you coming to Southampton? We’ve got a port, we’ve got the New Forest, we’ve got two rivers, we’ve got great universities, we have a fantastic history – why don’t you locate your business here so we have more opportunities for our people?”. We need to pay our people a decent wage so that people can raise their families and have some security.

2. What can you offer to students?
As I was saying earlier to the radio station, I really don’t think that any one MP can change the city. We all know that that it is ridiculous. So what I would like to do is to work with the students of Southampton on the campaigns that matter to them, where our values are shared. A few years ago, some students here had a really good campaign to clamp down on landlords who are exploiting certain students. Not all landlords – but we all know that some do. I was really proud to support their campaign and work with them on that.

In terms of Labour’s national pledges that we will do if we are in government, we want to make sure that the tuition fee comes down to £6000 a year (at the moment obviously, it’s at £9000 a year) and it will kick in as soon as we are elected. So in May, if you still have another year at university, you have £3000 less debt. We also really want to help with the maintenance allowance and grants for students who are struggling with the cost of living at university, such as with buying all those extra textbooks and art materials around the edges. I know that your Student Union is campaigning very strongly for this as well and I am very proud to be supporting their campaign.

On top of that, a lot of students may be privately renting – a lot of the students are asked for a month’s rent upfront, a deposit, and then they are expected to pay a letting fee as well! We will scrap the letting fee. We will make it illegal to have the letting fee – you are already putting so much up and out there. I would say, there are a few solid policies that will really help the students.

3. How do you think we can encourage the students to be more active in politics?

I think the really important thing is that we shouldn’t think of the students as just, “voters”. They are not someone who just comes along and puts a cross in the box and then disappears. They should be leaders themselves in political campaigns and movements that matter to them – whether it is campaigning against the letting fee, campaigning for more student grants, or whatever else that might matter to them locally. I do want to see other leaders come out from Southampton University. I want to see the students here becoming Councillors for Labour or becoming future MP’s for Labour.

So if we win, I hope to come back to the Universities and do more interviews and such so that we can reach out. I would say to any of your readers: Get in touch with me. I’m on Facebook, I’m on Twitter – and also, one of my pledges is to leave my mobile number with everyone. If anyone needs me, then I am there for them.

I would say that John Denham, who is the MP for the area at the moment – wasn’t born in the city but he started off as a student in Southampton University. So if he can do it, definitely others can as well.

4. What inspired you to run for this position in Southampton Itchen?

Well, you don’t choose where you are born, but you do choose where your home is. I love this city so much. I spent a lot of my school life in London and it is very difficult to do politics in London because people keep moving, sometimes people don’t speak English, sometimes they are too scared to talk to each other, or they just are moving too fast. But, in Southampton, there is a much bigger sense of community and if you believe that politics is about community like I do, then it is a wonderful place to work in. The people are so warm-hearted, it is just so lovely. It is the people that I mostly love about Southampton.

My father and his family come from Hampshire. Although I grew up in London where my mother lived, I always came back and forth both cities. I spent 7 years working as a journalist and I was self-employed. I kept thinking, I am writing about all these social problems, but what am I doing to fix them? So I became a Councillor, and that is when I realized I loved it. So, now I want to become an MP. When I was thinking about where to stand, I felt that I was not too sure about London and whether you can do politics there. So I looked around areas where my family are from, and I went to Southampton and just thought “Wow, this is it”.

I packed up all my bags and I left 3 years ago, and I just came to live here because it is the best place to live.

5. What is it about the Labour Party that accords with your personal beliefs and aspirations?

I went to a comprehensive school and when I was there, we hated our school canteen. They only sold chips, beans and cheese – I don’t know what your canteens are like but our canteens were absolutely horrible. The students wanted to change that but the teachers said you can’t change it because it is with a private company which was a massive multinational company and they have a contract to serve you for the next 15 years and you can’t change it. We were 15 at the time and we thought that was rubbish. We went home, when we should have been studying – and instead we baked, cooked, chopped up ingredients and made all kinds of homemade food like quiches, salads and pastas and sold it next door to the canteen for as much as you can eat for £1, and these hundreds of students came to our canteen and completely boycotted the other one. We were on the front page of the local paper and everything. After 2 weeks of keeping up with the boycott, the canteen changed. They reopened and the canteen changed – they suddenly had new smoothie machines, vegetarian options, and a lot of other nice food.

These kids that are not even old enough to vote took down this massive company and won, which was amazing. But it was not till I went to university and studied politics that I learnt about the history of the Labour party – the history of the working people rising up against injustice, and winning. I thought, “That is the party of the canteen, that is the party of the people, and that is the party I want to serve.”

6. You have made five video pledges over a week over social media.
Could you tell us a little more about them?

The pledges are based on what I have been hearing on the doorsteps. The last two years, the only things I have done is basically – to knock on doors, talk to people, listen to their concerns, and find out what their priorities are. The five pledges respond to the things that people have told me.

The first pledge is to protect the NHS – people are very worried about getting GP appointments and the hospitals are being overcrowded. We need investment in our NHS.

The second is about the cost of living – people find that their bills go up but their wages stay stagnant, and so they are getting poorer. So we need to take action to tackle the cost of living.

The third is about controlling immigration fairly – because people feel that if too many people come in too quickly, you cannot plan for the schools, houses and hospitals that you need. Some do not even speak English, so people feel they cannot even talk to their neighbours and people want to have stable communities. They are not racist people at all – it is just about having a community that works.

The fourth pledge is pride in Southampton. Southampton has got an amazing history and set of traditions and values, and there is a feeling that we want to celebrate that and make more of it. For an example, the Labour Council is building the Royal Pier, which used to be the jewel and the Crown of Southampton and had fallen into disrepair. Now, we are bringing it back. Having pride in Southampton is also about having the community being clean and safe and welcoming, so tourists can come off at the docks and the cruises.

The fifth pledge is to be here for you, the people. That is why I leave my mobile number with everyone. I have already sent my business card with my mobile number on it to 70,000 people and I get hundreds of messages a week, and I call back everyone. If you need it, the number is 07835103090 – if you need it, give me a ring. Even after I get elected, I want to spend a couple of hours every week calling everybody back. I always try and call them back within a week. I can’t always call someone back immediately as there are other things to be doing, but I want to make the time to do it because people feel that politicians are too distant from them, and it is really worth investing some time to do it properly, even if I sleep a bit less.

A list of all candidates running in Southampton and Winchester can be seen here. 

More articles in General Election 2015
  1. Labour Party and Business: A Difficult Relationship?
  2. Chameleon Conservative Cameron Shows True Colours
  3. An Election Reflection for a Majority Minority
  4. Mhairi Black: Giving Politics a Makeover
  5. Galloway Threatens Legal Action Over Election Result
  6. Voter Turnout: What The Numbers Tell Us About The 2015 General Election
  7. Looking At The Reaction to the Election Explains its Result
  8. The Polls Were Wrong Because People Lied, it’s That Simple!
  9. Russell Brand “Resigns” from Politics following General Election Result
  10. It’s Not The Cold War Anymore, We Don’t Need a Nuclear Deterrent
  11. The Future of Labour: Who Will Be The Next Leader?
  12. The Future of the Liberal Democrats: Who Will Be the Next Leader?
  13. The Future of UKIP: Who Will Be the Next Leader?
  14. A Tale of Three Ends
  15. The Tory Legacy
  16. If the Party Leaders were characters from Friends…who would you vote for?
  17. The Ten (Well, Six) Commitments: Is Stone Legally Binding?
  18. Tuition Fees: A Hollow Attempt to Pander to the Student Vote?
  19. 6,417 Ed Milligrams – What Do You Actually Vote For?
  20. Boris Johnson to become Gangster Rapper
  21. Political Engagement: The Calm After the Storm
  22. Parliamentary Candidate Interview: Green Party’s John Spottiswoode.
  23. Parliamentary Candidate Interviews: TUSC’s Sue Atkins
  24. Parliamentary Candidate Interview, Independent Candidate Chris Daviss
  25. “I don’t think the Liberal Democrats should be in government just for the sake of it” – An Interview With Nick Clegg
  26. Parliamentary Candidate Interview, TUSC’s Nick Chaffey
  27. Parliamentary Candidate Interview: Conservative’s Jeremy Moulton.
  28. Should Young People Be Made To Vote?
  29. The Nationalist Parties
  30. No Votes for Women?
  31. None of the Political Candidates Ticking Your Box? There is Another Option.
  32. The Other Parties
  33. Liberal Democrats Party Profile
  34. The Green Party
  35. Labour Party Profile
  36. In Defence of the Coalition
  37. Why Labour Should Win the Election But Won’t
  38. The Protest Vote: The Weapon of the Disenfranchised.
  39. Why Young People Must Use Their Vote
  40. An Interview With Natalie Bennett
  41. What Will a Multi-Party System Mean for Britain?
  42. Tuition Fees: Must Try Harder Ed
  43. Science and Policy
  44. This Election is Far Bigger Than Party Politics
  45. Parliamentary Candidate Interviews: Ian Callaghan, Green Party
  46. Parliamentary Candidate Interviews: Lib Dem’s Adrian Ford
  47. Paliamentary Candidate Interview – Labour’s Darren Paffey
  48. Parliamentary Candidates Interviews: Lib Dem’s Eleanor Bell
  49. TV Debates: The Crucifixion of David Cameron
  50. Parliamentary Candidate Interview – Labour’s Rowenna Davis
  51. Parliamentary Candidate Interview, the Green Party’s Angela Mawle
  52. Can We Trust Politicians Who Act Like Schoolchildren?
  53. Parliamentary Candidate Interview – UKIP’s Sandra James
  54. Manifesto Focus: Labour
  55. Why Nuclear Weapons Are Imperative For The UK’s Security
  56. Southampton’s Role in the General Election Should Not Be Overshadowed by a Sausage Roll
  57. Just When You Thought UKIP Couldn’t Do Anything Right…
  58. What the Hell Do You Want?
  59. Which Political Leader Are You?
  60. The EU: To Be or Not To Be
  61. Your 2015 General Election Candidates
  62. What a Silly Sausage: Southampton UKIP Candidate Accused of Bribery
  63. UKIP Party Profile
  64. Conservative Party Profile
  65. The Leaders Debate: The Insurgents, The Pretender & The Incumbent
  66. SUPA’s Short and Sweet Guide to Voting on 7th May
  67. TV Debate: Clash of the Titans
  68. Leaders Debate Brings Hope For Progressive Politics
  69. TV Debates: David Cameron and Ed Miliband Versus Britain
  70. 14,000 Voters Missing From Electoral Role in Southampton – Register to Vote Now!
  71. Men’s Rights Party Set To Contest in General Elections
  72. A Royal Coup? – Queen Guitarist Brian May Considering Standing for Election
  73. Debating Over Debates
  74. Galloway Demands Inclusion in TV Debates
  75. The General Election 2015 – A Disunited Kingdom? 
  76. 99 Days To Go: The Most Unpredictable Election Yet!
  77. Poll Indicates Demand for Green Party to be Included in Election Debates
  78. Have You Registered To Vote?
  79. Is Sol Campbell running for Parliament?
  80. Salmond to Stand as MP
  81. Students May Hold the Key!
  82. The Green Party Should Not Be Included in the 2015 General Election Debates
  83. Parliamentary Candidate Interview: Alan Whitehead MP
  84. What’s at Stake for Students in the General Election?
  85. It’s Time For Politicians To Get Down With The Kids
  86. The Debates Debate
  87. Who Will Run The Country in 2015?
  88. New Year, New Government? New Politics?
  89. Newly Elected Itchen MP Accused of Helping UKIP Secure Labour Votes

Fun-sized aspiring lawyer who is always hungry. Always.

“The third is about controlling immigration fairly – because people feel that if too many people come in too quickly, you cannot plan for the schools, houses and hospitals that you need. Some do not even speak English, so people feel they cannot even talk to their neighbours and people want to have stable communities. They are not racist people at all – it is just about having a community that works.”

You are right to consider immigration because provision of public services is a zero-sum game. People not only “feel” that if too many people come in too quickly, you are unable to plan for public service provision – it’s a cold fact. There are only so many GP slots/prison cells/MRI scans/primary school places available nationwide in any given day.

If we have a large increase in demand for these services, then quality of service will degrade and costs will increase.

Net migration figures pre year 2000 were of the order of low to mid tens of thousands a year.

In 2014, around 240,000 people net moved to the UK [2], and this is part of a long-term trend as people take advantage of the EU-mandated right to freedom of movement from the desperately poor eastern-block nations and the Mediterranean countries.

For reference the population of Southampton is around 250,000 [3].

So the country faces a choice: either, we build a “new Southampton” every year to provide for the influx of people, or we manage the migration levels so that services can better cope. Both are viable options, but it is for the electorate to decide which is more desirable.

The transformation in the migration figures started under the previous Labour government. Unfortunately, the electorate was not consulted when the legislative changes were enacted to make this possible.

As you point out, this has had disastrous consequences for certain sections of the country; resulting in poor levels of integration into existing communities, ghettoisation and the resulting community antagonism. You use the word “racism”, I use the phrase “total immigration policy failure by the previous Labour government”.

Here’s the thing: the Labour party had ten years of strong Government mandate to act on this and failed to do so.

Now five years later, your party has made no indication that it has changed its policy. On the basis that past behaviour is the best predicator of future success – and not only considering your immigration policy; but also the morality of your foreign policy and your demonstrable economic mismanagement during 1997 to 2007, unfortunately Labour cannot get my vote.

Jennifer Allerton

There is net inward migration to the UK every year, but the other factor not taken into account is that the UK’s birth rate is below replacement levels and has been since the 70s – i.e. the 70 million (ish) people, of which 240000 is less than 0.004%, who live here are not replacing themselves each generation, resulting in an ageing population. The majority of migrants in to the UK are young and working people. Currently, though I would prefer it to stay this way so far as is possible, most of the UK is wilderness. More houses can be built, but the fact is they already need to be anyway because no one can damned well afford one. And yet, some people have two. (And some people sleep on the streets). Ludicrous? Yup.