Conservative Party Profile

0

Name: The Conservative Party

Leader: David Cameron

General Political Ideology: Centre-right,  the current Conservative-lead government follow the traditional partly line, as they stand for free trade, private enterprise, individual liberty, low taxation and strong defence. In the past some Conservative parite have been more radical, especially in economic affairs, such as Margret Thatcher.

Key Policy: To maintain Britain’s long term economic plan (by keeping the British economy growing and creating more secure new jobs) in order to try and eliminate the deficit by the end of the next parliament . He also promises an in-out referendum on Europe by the end of 2017, in an attempt to try and solve this problem.

Policy on NHS: The Conservatives  have claimed they will properly fund the NHS, by increasing spending on the NHS in real terms every year. They will also focus on reforming GP practise in the next parliament, as they plan to recruit and train an extra 5,000 GPs, to implement a seven-day access to GPs by 2020 and to have a named GP for every NHS patient in order to improve personal care in this sector of the NHS.

Policy on Economy: As the Conservatives have been traditionally focused on the economy, they also have many proposed economic changes for the next Parliament. Their tax reforms include cutting income tax for 30million middle income earners and increasing the income until it becomes payable to £10,600 per annum, pledging not to raise VAT, cutting tax on company profits but yet at the same time cutting corporation tax and offering tax cuts for high earners. For defence spending, the party has promised to follow NATO’s target of spending 2% of GDP on defence in the next Parliament. Although this would mean that there would be a year on year real growth of the defence budget, this would only stagnate or slowly increase in the next Parliamentary term, yet after 2015, this would increase dramatically.

However, Cameron would reduce welfare spending by £12bn in the next Parliament, by slashing disability payments, by imposing taxes on disability living allowance and attendance allowance.

Policy of Housing: Cameron’s key pledge for housing is to build 200,000 cut price starter homes in the next Parliament. This scheme would be designed to help first time buyers under 40 who wished to move to brownfield sites. This would be achievable, as he would waiver taxes imposed on construction companies, as long as would sell these houses at a 20% cheaper rate to this client group. However, there would be a maximum amount that houses could be sold for under which would be £250,000 outside of London. The Conservatives would also implement a new help to buy ISA’s for first-time buyers to help them get a deposit for a house and to extend the help to buy equity loan scheme to 2020.

Policy of Tuition Fees: This hasn’t been made clear, but there is a possibility that the Conservative party will allow Oxbridge, and other Russell Group Universities to  increase fees £16,000.

I mainly focus on news and travel, in my Wessex Scene writing. I am a third year History student at the University, who has a passion of learning more about the world around me and visiting new places when I can. I also enjoy doing many different societies at university, including: Wessex Scene!