Science and Policy

In areas such as climate change and health, it seems obvious that science has a lot to offer by way of advising or leading policy decisions, but in what other arenas can some knowledge of science, or use of scientific methods, be useful?

Why should we care about what science has to say, and how can you find out whether your candidates do?

In science, hypotheses are formed and tested, and conclusions drawn from the results of the test. If the evidence cannot be conciled  with the hypothesis, the hypothesis must be rejected, lessons are learned and a new path devised. This stands in stark contrast with the political fear of the U-turn. All too often when coming up with policy ideas, politicians will seek out and selectively quote that evidence which supports their position – instead of holding those ideas up to the available evidence and rejecting them if they are not supported. Perhaps it would be better to praise those who are willing to change their views in the face of stronger evidence, and by calling out those who abuse evidence, make politicians more thorough in their research. In the 2014 Public Attitudes to Science Survey, 70% of people in a stratified sample of UK residents aged 16 and over agreed that “experts and not the public should advise the Government about the implications of scientific development“, and the same number felt that “politicians are too easily swayed by the media’s reaction to scientific issues“. Every government department has a Chief Scientific Adviser, but their influence varies from each department to the next. It has even been suggested that, just as economists and lawyers have to sign off government policies as economically viable and legally sound, perhaps relevant policies should receive the same scrutiny from scientists, to ensure that if governments are going to claim “evidence-based policy”, it will be clear to see in which cases the advice from science has indeed been heeded.

Science is critical to Britain’s economic recovery; don’t take my word for it, though, this was written in a Royal Society report in 2010 assessing science’s contribution to the economy. In the same year an independent academic paper calculated that the then £3.5bn of science budget gave back around £60bn contribution to GDP, and that even by lower estimates, cutting the spend by just £1bn would mean £10 billion less in GDP. Despite this, UK spending on science is lower than many other leading nations as a percentage of GDP. This March, for the first time in a few years, the allocation of the budget ring-fenced for science and research has seen a real terms increase; having varied slightly above and below the £5bn mark since 2011-12, in 2015-16 the proposed science budget will be £5.8bn. However, this still leaves it slightly below where it would be had it been maintained with inflation since 2010. The Public Attitudes to Science survey found that 66% of people disagreed with the suggestion “Government funding [to science]should be cut because money can be better spent elsewhere”, with only 14% agreeing, and the remainder unsure or undecided. If you earn £25000 a year, you pay £3000 a year in income tax (and £2045 in National insurance). By comparison , the UK’s subscription to CERN costs £1.50 per person per year.

In medicine, randomised controlled trials are used to test new drugs and treatments; it would be unthinkable to administer a new treatment to patients without it having been tested and proven safe and effective first. We don’t, however, use the same method of testing new educational initiatives. Instead, in many cases, ideas or changes to the curriculum which seem reasonable are conceived, and then made nationwide policy, without any real evidence of whether it will help. It would be relatively simple to conduct trials in randomly selected schools to begin with, assess the evidence, and then either roll it out across the nation or not, based on what it tells you. One problem is that some may view this as a waste of time, especially if the result turns out to be negative – but surely, it is less a waste than imposing untested policy? All too often the lay politician scoffs at what the scientist knows to be true: that a negative result still tell us something. Another is that there are few practitioner-academics in schools in the way that there are in medicine. Doctors consult patients as well as conducting research, but most people leave teaching if they are thinking of going into educational research, with some of the few exceptions being through teacher fellowships with the Nuffield Foundation, which allows working teachers to become practitioner-academics. It is unlikely that many will choose this course, either, with the current demands on teachers being as they are.

That this was somehow allowed to become a politically divisive issue is a tragedy. It’s important that governments aren’t complacent. Science needs to lead on this issue, but it has to be correct science. It’s important for both sides not to make assumptions about causation with relation to single events, whether it is a member of US congress using the height of snow in New York to ask “how can this be if global warming is happening?”, in an impressive demonstration of wilful ignorance, or Greenpeace calling Hurricane Katrina in 2005 “a wake-up call about the dangers of continued global fossil fuel dependency”. Whilst there is evidence for the outcomes of warming including severe storms, it can’t be shown for certain exactly what effect it has had in individual cases; we can’t cite every British summer as evidence. There is, after all, enough actual rigorously statistically analysed scientific evidence for climate change. We can’t risk citing shoddy evidence and muddling a very clear message: This issue is crucial.

So how do you find out if your candidate, or a party, cares about science? Well, you can start by searching party webpages for their manifestos or questioning candidates at hustings. If you want them to care more, you have to make it clear in your numbers that your vote will go where the science leads you – to the critical thinker and those with respect for evidence. See and for more advice.

Feature image by Sammie Burstow

More articles in General Election 2015
  1. Labour Party and Business: A Difficult Relationship?
  2. Chameleon Conservative Cameron Shows True Colours
  3. An Election Reflection for a Majority Minority
  4. Mhairi Black: Giving Politics a Makeover
  5. Galloway Threatens Legal Action Over Election Result
  6. Voter Turnout: What The Numbers Tell Us About The 2015 General Election
  7. Looking At The Reaction to the Election Explains its Result
  8. The Polls Were Wrong Because People Lied, it’s That Simple!
  9. Russell Brand “Resigns” from Politics following General Election Result
  10. It’s Not The Cold War Anymore, We Don’t Need a Nuclear Deterrent
  11. The Future of Labour: Who Will Be The Next Leader?
  12. The Future of the Liberal Democrats: Who Will Be the Next Leader?
  13. The Future of UKIP: Who Will Be the Next Leader?
  14. A Tale of Three Ends
  15. The Tory Legacy
  16. If the Party Leaders were characters from Friends…who would you vote for?
  17. The Ten (Well, Six) Commitments: Is Stone Legally Binding?
  18. Tuition Fees: A Hollow Attempt to Pander to the Student Vote?
  19. 6,417 Ed Milligrams – What Do You Actually Vote For?
  20. Boris Johnson to become Gangster Rapper
  21. Political Engagement: The Calm After the Storm
  22. Parliamentary Candidate Interview: Green Party’s John Spottiswoode.
  23. Parliamentary Candidate Interviews: TUSC’s Sue Atkins
  24. Parliamentary Candidate Interview, Independent Candidate Chris Daviss
  25. “I don’t think the Liberal Democrats should be in government just for the sake of it” – An Interview With Nick Clegg
  26. Parliamentary Candidate Interview, TUSC’s Nick Chaffey
  27. Parliamentary Candidate Interview: Conservative’s Jeremy Moulton.
  28. Should Young People Be Made To Vote?
  29. The Nationalist Parties
  30. No Votes for Women?
  31. None of the Political Candidates Ticking Your Box? There is Another Option.
  32. The Other Parties
  33. Liberal Democrats Party Profile
  34. The Green Party
  35. Labour Party Profile
  36. In Defence of the Coalition
  37. Why Labour Should Win the Election But Won’t
  38. The Protest Vote: The Weapon of the Disenfranchised.
  39. Why Young People Must Use Their Vote
  40. An Interview With Natalie Bennett
  41. What Will a Multi-Party System Mean for Britain?
  42. Tuition Fees: Must Try Harder Ed
  43. Science and Policy
  44. This Election is Far Bigger Than Party Politics
  45. Parliamentary Candidate Interviews: Ian Callaghan, Green Party
  46. Parliamentary Candidate Interviews: Lib Dem’s Adrian Ford
  47. Paliamentary Candidate Interview – Labour’s Darren Paffey
  48. Parliamentary Candidates Interviews: Lib Dem’s Eleanor Bell
  49. TV Debates: The Crucifixion of David Cameron
  50. Parliamentary Candidate Interview – Labour’s Rowenna Davis
  51. Parliamentary Candidate Interview, the Green Party’s Angela Mawle
  52. Can We Trust Politicians Who Act Like Schoolchildren?
  53. Parliamentary Candidate Interview – UKIP’s Sandra James
  54. Manifesto Focus: Labour
  55. Why Nuclear Weapons Are Imperative For The UK’s Security
  56. Southampton’s Role in the General Election Should Not Be Overshadowed by a Sausage Roll
  57. Just When You Thought UKIP Couldn’t Do Anything Right…
  58. What the Hell Do You Want?
  59. Which Political Leader Are You?
  60. The EU: To Be or Not To Be
  61. Your 2015 General Election Candidates
  62. What a Silly Sausage: Southampton UKIP Candidate Accused of Bribery
  63. UKIP Party Profile
  64. Conservative Party Profile
  65. The Leaders Debate: The Insurgents, The Pretender & The Incumbent
  66. SUPA’s Short and Sweet Guide to Voting on 7th May
  67. TV Debate: Clash of the Titans
  68. Leaders Debate Brings Hope For Progressive Politics
  69. TV Debates: David Cameron and Ed Miliband Versus Britain
  70. 14,000 Voters Missing From Electoral Role in Southampton – Register to Vote Now!
  71. Men’s Rights Party Set To Contest in General Elections
  72. A Royal Coup? – Queen Guitarist Brian May Considering Standing for Election
  73. Debating Over Debates
  74. Galloway Demands Inclusion in TV Debates
  75. The General Election 2015 – A Disunited Kingdom? 
  76. 99 Days To Go: The Most Unpredictable Election Yet!
  77. Poll Indicates Demand for Green Party to be Included in Election Debates
  78. Have You Registered To Vote?
  79. Is Sol Campbell running for Parliament?
  80. Salmond to Stand as MP
  81. Students May Hold the Key!
  82. The Green Party Should Not Be Included in the 2015 General Election Debates
  83. Parliamentary Candidate Interview: Alan Whitehead MP
  84. What’s at Stake for Students in the General Election?
  85. It’s Time For Politicians To Get Down With The Kids
  86. The Debates Debate
  87. Who Will Run The Country in 2015?
  88. New Year, New Government? New Politics?
  89. Newly Elected Itchen MP Accused of Helping UKIP Secure Labour Votes

Physics student and regular freelance science communicator, shooting for the stars. I'm your Science Editor and with the help of a team of talented writers, strive to bring you the most interesting and relevant science stories.