Who, What and Where of Southampton Politics

Southampton ItchenSouthampton Constituency Map

MP: Royston Smith GM MP

Southampton Itchen is a marginal seat which takes its name from the Itchen River to the east. It became one of the key battlegrounds on the south coast in the 2015 General Election. The seat was held by Labour MP John Denham from 1992, but in 2015 the constituency was won by local Conservative MP, Royston Smith. Whilst serving as the leader of Southampton City Council, Smith disarmed a sailor who fatally shot Lieutenant Commander Molyneux RN on board HMS Astute whilst on an official visit, as a result was awarded the George Medal for gallantry. Southampton Itchen is also the sight of the infamous Sausage Roll-Gate incident involving UKIP’s Kim Rose inappropriately handing out sausage rolls at a campaigning event.

Southampton Test

MP: Dr Alan Whitehead MP

Southampton Test takes its name from the River Test to the west of the city and following the 2015 General Election is the only Labour seat in the county of Hampshire and one of only four seats not held by Conservatives on the south coast. Dr Whitehead holds a PhD in Political Science from the University of Southampton and was also the President of the Students’ Union during his time here (and he wrote for Wessex Scene). He has held the constituency since 1997. Highfield, Boldrewood and Avenue campus all sit within the Test constituency.

Romsey and Southampton North

MP: Caroline Nokes MP

Romsey and Southampton North is safe Conservative seat which encompasses many of the University halls to the north of Highfield Campus including Montefiore and Glen Eyre. The constituency is represented by local Conservative MP, Caroline Nokes who has represented the constituency since 2010. Previously, the seat of Romsey had been represented by Liberal Democrat Sandra Gildey, who was one of the many MPs highlighted in the 2009 expenses scandal.

MP: Steve Brine MP

The Conservative safe seat of Winchester is represented by Steve Brine MP, who has held the seat since 2010. Winchester had been a Liberal Democrat seat since 1997. The Winchester School of Art is represented in this constituency.

Final year history student with an interest in maritime and military history. Politics Editor for the Wessex Scene (2015/16).