Israeli Embassy to Debate at University

0

The University of Southampton Debating Society has organised a debate on the Israel/Palestine conflict for Thursday 19th November. It will include speakers from the Israeli Embassy. 

The speakers will be debating the motion ‘This House believes that Israel is a Rogue State‘. There will also be a chance for the audience to get involved and ask questions of the guest speakers.

Speaking in favour of the motion will be Ghada Karmi and Jonathan Rosenhead. Ghada, a leading Palestinian activist, academic and writer, is a research fellow at the Institute of Arab and Islamic studies at the University of Exeter and is vice-chair of the Council for Arab-British Understanding. Jonathan is is currently Chair of the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine, having previously been a Labour Party candidate for Parliament and Chair of the British Society for Social Responsibility in Science.

Speaking against the motion will be Yiftah Curiel and Hannah Weisfeld. Yiftah is a career diplomat with the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, currently holding the post of Spokesperson for the Israeli Embassy in London. He has previously served as Deputy-Chief-of-Mission at Israel’s embassy in Addis Ababa, and as Spokesperson and Cultural Attaché at the Israeli mission in Buenos Aires. Hannah is the director and a founder of Yachad, a pro-Israel, pro-peace movement. She has campaigned professionally on a wide range of issues including climate change, the conflict in Darfur and fair-trade. She previously chaired the Jewish Social Action Forum.

The debate will start at 6pm  in Building 58 Room 1067.

Final year History student