Israeli Embassy to Debate at University

The University of Southampton Debating Society has organised a debate on the Israel/Palestine conflict for Thursday 19th November. It will include speakers from the Israeli Embassy. 

The speakers will be debating the motion ‘This House believes that Israel is a Rogue State‘. There will also be a chance for the audience to get involved and ask questions of the guest speakers.

Speaking in favour of the motion will be Ghada Karmi and Jonathan Rosenhead. Ghada, a leading Palestinian activist, academic and writer, is a research fellow at the Institute of Arab and Islamic studies at the University of Exeter and is vice-chair of the Council for Arab-British Understanding. Jonathan is is currently Chair of the British Committee for the Universities of Palestine, having previously been a Labour Party candidate for Parliament and Chair of the British Society for Social Responsibility in Science.

Speaking against the motion will be Yiftah Curiel and Hannah Weisfeld. Yiftah is a career diplomat with the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs, currently holding the post of Spokesperson for the Israeli Embassy in London. He has previously served as Deputy-Chief-of-Mission at Israel’s embassy in Addis Ababa, and as Spokesperson and Cultural Attaché at the Israeli mission in Buenos Aires. Hannah is the director and a founder of Yachad, a pro-Israel, pro-peace movement. She has campaigned professionally on a wide range of issues including climate change, the conflict in Darfur and fair-trade. She previously chaired the Jewish Social Action Forum.

The debate will start at 6pm  in Building 58 Room 1067.

Final year History student, Chair of Romsey and Southampton North CF and former President of the Southampton Debating Union. Follow me on Twitter @realBradBell