Media Bias: Telegraph Publishes Doctored Data

0

The Telegraph has published a ComRes survey, supposedly showing that the Prime Minster has the public’s support to shut down Parliament to push Brexit through. Specifically, it makes the claim that ‘54% of British adults think Parliament should be prorogued to prevent MPs stopping a no-deal Brexit‘.

However, as the University of Southampton’s very own Dr. Will Jennings points out, this is not what the results actually suggest. In truth, 44% of respondents said that they agreed, while 37% said they disagreed; and 19% said they didn’t know. So, how had the Telegraph reached the figure of 54 %? It had removed those who said ‘don’t know’ from the story.

So, here is evidence of a national newspaper lying to represent an employee’s views as a consensus – or, at least, the mirage of a ‘consensus’. Sounds typical, right? But, for me, what makes this worse is that said employee of the paper in question is the Prime Minister. Has The Telegraph merely become a loudspeaker for Boris Johnson’s government? If so, what precedent does that set for future governments? And, what does that mean for us, now, if such propaganda efforts become the norm?

More articles in Media Bias
  1. Media Bias: Support Remain? It Might Be The BBC’s Fault
  2. Media Bias: Owen Jones Confesses
  3. Media Bias: Telegraph Publishes Doctored Data