General Election 2019: Southampton & Winchester’s Constituencies

0

Southampton Itchen

The 6th most marginal constituency in the UK, the Conservatives held the Southampton Itchen seat with a majority of just 31 in the last general election. Royston Smith has been the Conservative MP since 2015, after taking the seat from Labour’s John Denham. However, his already small majority of 2,316 dwindled to 31 in the last General Election, meaning this seat is wide open.

Former Council leader Simon Letts will once again battle Smith in what was a two-horse race. The Liberal Democrats have put forward Liz Jarvis as their candidate for the ward, whilst UKIP candidate Kim Rose will hope to perform better in this election after the -11% swing for her in the last General Election. Osman Sen-Chadun is the Green candidate.

Southampton Test

Southampton Test has been a Labour stronghold since Tony Blair got into power in 1997. The current Labour candidate, former SUSU president Dr. Alan Whitehead, has represented the seat since the 1997 election and has contested the seat since 1983. His strong majority in 2017 means it will be difficult for him to lose his seat, but in this unpredictable election, anything can happen.

He will be contested by Millbrook ward councillor Steven Galton for the Conservatives, whilst Joe Richards will hope to boost the Liberal Democrats’ votes. The 2017 election saw the Liberal Democrats’ worst performance in this constituency in their history.

The Brexit Party’s inaugural election will be contested here by Philip Crook, who plans to take votes from Labour. The former serviceman will also compete with Green candidate Katherine Barbour, who becomes the Green’s first Parliamentary candidate in Test since 2015.

Romsey and Southampton North

A relatively young constituency, this is the fourth general election with Romsey and Southampton North in its current form. It has, however, always been won by a Conservative, Caroline Nokes. Despite having the whip removed in September, she returned to the party at the end of October to contest this relatively safe Conservative seat.
Claire Ransom is the Labour candidate, taking over from Dr. Darren Paffey – a local councillor and Southampton lecturer – to contest the seat. Craig Fletcher is also a new candidate for the Liberal Democrats – he replaces Catherine Royce who stood for the Lib Dems in the last election. UKIP announced Geoff Bentley as a candidate for the seat, having not put a candidate forward in the last election. With Nokes back in as the Conservative candidate taking nearly 3 in 5 votes at the last election, there is unlikely to be a huge shock in this constituency.

Winchester

Winchester as a constituency spans over 800 years of history. Since 2010, it has been a Conservative seat, represented by Steve Brine. Brine, who lost – then regained – the Conservative whip in September, will be challenged by councillor Paula Ferguson (Liberal Democrats), who will hope to build on her party’s huge growth from 2015 to 2017. Labour has fielded George Baker as their candidate, whilst the Justice and Anti-Corruption will once again field a candidate here – Theresa Skelton.

More articles in General Election 2019
  1. They Just Don’t Get It: The General Election Wasn’t About Leavers and Remainers
  2. Southampton Itchen: A Highly Contested Seat
  3. Interview: Stephen Galton: Conservative Candidate, Southampton Test
  4. Interview: Craig Fletcher, Liberal Democrat Candidate, Romsey And Southampton North
  5. How Can We Trust You?: Problems Of A Student Voter
  6. The Liberal Democrat Manifesto Simplified
  7. Jeremy Corbyn Signs Southampton UCU Petition
  8. Southampton Hustings: All You Need to Know
  9. Conservative Manifesto 2019: A Summary
  10. General Election 2019: Southampton & Winchester’s Constituencies
  11. Labour Manifesto 2019 – We Went Through It So You Don’t Have To
  12. Reasons (Not) to Vote
  13. SUSU Hustings: Southampton Test – Liveblog
  14. SUSU Hustings: Romsey and Southampton North – Liveblog
  15. Key Dates for Upcoming General Election 2019
  16. Wessex Scene Launches General Election 2019 Survey
  17. Southampton Debating Union General Election Student Debate: Liveblog
  18. Johnson vs Corbyn: BBC General Election Debate Liveblog
  19. SUSU Hustings: Southampton Itchen – Liveblog
  20. UK General Election To Occur On The 12th Of December
  21. Johnson vs Corbyn: ITV General Election Debate 2019 Liveblog
  22. Over 75 University of Southampton Students Turned Away From Polling Stations
  23. General Election 2019 Results – All-Nighter Liveblog
  24. General Election Student Attitudes Survey: The Results