Southampton Brings Science to Life

1

Southampton University’s Science and Engineering Day was a huge success. Budding scientists and engineers were able to explore the subjects in a hands-on fashion on the University’s Highfield Campus.

The day, taking place on Saturday 13th March, was part of National Science and Engineering week with events across the country to celebrate the two disciplines from the 12th to 21st of the month. Last year it was voted the best event in the week which is organised nationally by the British Science Association.

The children, who covered nearly all age ranges, were able to explore zones in Space, Technology, Life, Transport, Construction, Light, and Chemistry. Activites ranging from piloting an Airbus in a flight simulator to solving a mystery using forensics in the library to blowing cubic bubbles, were arranged by the University, Outreach, the National Oceanography Centre and the Univeristy of Southampton’s Science Park.

Professor Jeremy Kilburn, Dean of the Faculty of Engineering, Science and Mathematics, said: “One of the aims of the University’s yearly involvement in National Science and Engineering Week is to inspire young people’s interest in these fascinating subjects and demonstrate just how exciting they can be”.

Next Saturday, the National Oceanography Centre, near Dock Gate 4, is holding an Ocean and Earth Day. Visitors are given the opportunity to explore life below the depths and get up close to some of the sealife in the aquarium. Other activities include exploring fossils and visiting a working research vessel, the RV Callista. More details can be found on their website: http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/nmf/