University Researchers to Design Telecommunications Across India and China

0

Researchers at the University of Southampton have been awarded a contract to design telecommunications networks across India and China.

Professor Lajos Hanzo, Chair of Telecommunications at the university’s School of Electronics and Computer Science, and his team are working with nine UK institutions and seven Indian Institutes of Technology, in order to design the next generation of wireless systems across India.

Professor Hanzi says ‘India has a huge rural population and our aim is to provide telecommunications for remote villages. This is very challenging and there are theoretical and practical constraints, but there is a huge need to support next generation healthcare and other services in India’.

The five-year (two phase) initiative in in its first phase and is funded collaboratively between the Research Councils UK Digital Economy Programme, the Indian Government Department of Science and Technology and the information and communications industry to the tune of over £10 million.

The second project in the two-phase plan has the ultimate goal of creating a UK-China joint research and development centre for future wireless communication networks. It is funded by the Research Councils UK to help collaboration between British and Chinese academic institutions. In this three-year China-UK project, a test bed will be created for the research and development of cutting-edge mobile communication systems.

Professor Hanzo said: ‘China and India together form a market of two billion people. The provision of effective telecommunications in these markets will have a powerful influence on industry’.