Climate Change Conference Heads to Birmingham

0

If you are interested in the environment, human rights and making the world a better place, you might want to hop on a train to Birmingham University for the 6th– 7th November 2010, where People & Planet’s annual conference will take place this year.

People & Planet is a student network which campaigns to end world poverty, protect human rights and look after the environment. They educate students and workers to give them opportunities to act against social and environmental problems.

The Student Network and People & Planet’s support office have staged climate change marches and have taken the government to court in the past, with some successful results, such as getting 1,200 Honduran workers their jobs back.

This year’s Shared Planet conference will see students from all over the UK coming together and celebrating their common desire to tackle poverty and climate change. Keynote speakers will include Caroline Lucas MP – the leader of the Green Party, Johann Hari – an Independent columnist, Nick Dearden – the director of the Jubilee Debt Campaign, and John Hilary – the director of War on Want. There will also be a range of workshops, a chance to discuss campaign ideas with other students, and the Shared Planet Party.

To book your place, visit http://peopleandplanet.org/shared-planet-2010. Fill in your details to register for an email which will tell you when the bookings go live. If you have any questions about the event, or are thinking of joining the People & Planet network by creating a society at the University of Southampton and want some advice, please email people@peopleandplanet.org.