The Weekly Breakthroughs 3

0

The Wessex Scene gives you a chance to catch up every Wednesday on the progress made by scientists around the world in the past week.

Wednesday July 27th – Arctic Wildfire Creates Climate-Change Hot Spot: 

Scientists have discovered that the 2007 Alaskan wildfire near the Anaktuvuk river released more carbon into the atmosphere than the Arctic tundra can absorb in a year. Environmentalist say this could create a new climate feedback.

Read more

Thursday July 28th – Neanderthals Caved Under Pressure From Modern Humans:

Researchers have discovered that the Neanderthals of Western Europe were wiped out due to an influx of Homo Sapiens arriving from Africa. It is thought that the Homo Sapiens’ greater communication and hunting skills created unsurvivable competition for the Neanderthals.

Read more

Friday July 29th – Brain Sensor Drives Down Braking Distances:

Scientists in Berlin have discovered that attaching a system of electrodes to a drivers brain can cut stopping distances by more than 10ft. ‘We were surprised it is so predictive,’ the project leader stated.

Read more

Saturday July 30th – NASA Probe Demystifies Jupiter’s Clouds:

Scientists at NASA will launch their new space probe this week, in an effort to take pictures of Jupiter from below its permanent cloud-cover. The $1.1 billion probe will travel 1740 million miles to the giant planet.

Read more

Sunday July 31st – Woodland Trust On The Trail Of Jubilee Site:

Foresters at the Woodland Trust are looking for a site to plant 500,000 trees as a leafy celebration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The five hundred acre site is expected to cost around £5m.

Read more

Monday August 1st – Cern Releases Energetic Images:

Physicists at the LHC have released images of a particle collision that simulates the first microseconds after the big bang. The lead atoms used in the experiment were accelerated to near the speed of light before colliding.

Read more

Tuesday August 2nd – Dad Upbeat After Plastic Heart Transplant:

Doctors have saved the life of a Cambridgeshire father by using a plastic heart to replace his own. The artificial heart is powered by a 6Kg backpack. The father claimed the surgery has ‘revolutionized’ his life.

Read more

Southampton University. Third year. BA Physics.