The Weekly Breakthroughs 4

0

The Wessex Scene gives you a chance to catch up every Wednesday on the progress made by scientists around the world in the past week.

Wednesday 3rd August – Evidence Of Second Moon Unearthed:

Scientists have discovered evidence of a previous moon that may have orbited Earth. The second moon is thought to have been about one third of the size of Earth’s current moon.

Read more

Thursday 4th August – Red Planet Shows Blue Potential:

New video footage of Mars shows dark ‘tendrils’ on the planet’s surface. The images are thought to show thawing mud, which may indicate the presence of water on the planet.

Read more

Friday 5th August – Heart Tests Could Save Babies’ Lives:

Statisticians have discovered that the default screening of newborn babies could save the lives of those babies born with heart defects. The research shows that half of babies born with major congenital heart defects could have their conditions identified by the test.

Read more

Saturday 6th August – Shrimp Invaders Overpower Waterways:

The ‘killer’ shrimp Dikerogammarus Villosus has topped the Environment Agency’s list of the ten worst alien invaders in British waterways. The shrimps are estimated to cost the UK £1.7bn annually through damage to plants and animals.

Read more

Sunday 7th August – Satellite Stumbles Upon Antimatter Belt:

Scientists have discovered a belt of antimatter surrounding the Earth. The belt was discovered serendipitously by the Pamela satellite on its hunt for cosmic rays.

Read more

Monday 8th August – Spermless Mosquitoes Neuter Malaria Spread:

Scientists have bred spermless male mosquitoes that could halt the spread of malaria in third-world countries. They plan to release the mosquitoes into the wild to eventually reduce the number of the malaria-carrying insects. At the moment in Africa malaria accounts for a fifth of all child deaths.

Read more

Tuesday 9th August – New Craft To Clear Space Around Earth:

Scientists have proposed a new cleaning spacecraft be built to tackle the growing problem of space junk. The spacecraft will be able to remove five to ten pieces of debris per year, making future space projects safer.

Read more

Southampton University. Third year. BA Physics.