Southampton Study Set to Revolutionise Fight Against Superbugs.

0

A study published today in the lancet shows new research from Southampton University illustrating the success of their new internet-based training in reducing the rate of antibiotic prescriptions.

Antibiotic resistance occurs when a population of microorganisms are unable to be killed by a type of antibiotic. Resistance of bacteria to several antibiotics can lead to superbugs that are difficult to contain: MRSA is a famous examples of this.

With increasing fears that one day soon we will meet the apocalypse in the form of an unpreventable superbug, scientists are trying to address the issue of increased antibiotic resistance, which has been attributed to the large number of antibiotics prescribed. Therefore, any measures that can be taken to reduce the amount of unnecessary prescriptions could largely reduce the rising problem.

A study published in the lancet today led by the University of Southampton shows the potential of a novel internet-based training for clinicians. This new approach has been shown to reduce antibiotic prescription rates by 62 percent. As Paul Little, professor of the primary care research here at Southampton, has pointed out, internet training has the advantage of being low cost and easy to implement.

It can also be applied across all primary care settings to ensure that we start prescribing the correct quantities of antibiotics.