Nobel Prizes Announced

0

This week has seen the announcement of two Nobel prizes. The first was the Physics Nobel prize which was awarded jointly to Peter Higgs and Francois Englert for their theory of the Higgs boson particle. It was nearly fifty years ago that they first proposed the mechanism that gives fundamental particles their mass, with the discovery of the Higgs boson at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) last year the pair have finally had their predictions confirmed.

Staffan Normark, permanent secretary of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences had this to say “This year’s prize is about something small that makes all the difference.”

Meanwhile today the Chemistry Nobel prize has been awarded to three computer scientists from America. Martin Karplus, Michael Levitt and Arieh Warshel were awarded the prize for their computer simulations of chemical reactions, which are now used in a wide range of research fields from medical to solar energy.

Dominic Tildesley, president-elect of Britain’s Royal Society of Chemistry had this to say of their contributions to Chemistry “The field of computational modelling has revolutionized how we design new medicines by allowing us to accurately predict the behaviour of proteins.”