Pint of Science – Life: From Surface to Deep Sea

0

On Wednesday 20th May, Prof Richard Sanders and Prof Paul Tyler from the National Oceanography Centre will be at the Dancing Man Brewery talking about the sealife we don’t always encounter – the small stuff, and life in the great depths.

Professor Richard Sanders is a professor of Marine Biogeochemistry at the National Oceanographic Centre in Southampton.  He graduated with a Chemistry undergraduate degree from Nottingham , and later discovered a passion for oceanography. Richard’s key research area involves the natural carbon cycle in our oceans, including how carbon is stored, and the rate of storage. A huge proportion of the planet’s carbon is supplied within the ocean involving marine biological processes, keeping atmospheric levels down by a huge degree. Looking at the ecology of the organisms involved in this process, Richard’s group aims to understand how rates of biological processes, affect this natural cycle. With a huge emphasis on field work, Richard and his team undergo research projects across the world, from the South Atlantic to the Indian Ocean. What would be the consequences of shifts in this natural carbon cycle? How would it affect our oceans and our planet’s climate? The future state of our planet is dependent on research such as this.

‘Oceans – The Small Stuff’ will be presented by Richard, exploring how the ocean biologically regulates the Earth’s carbon cycle and how the organisms involved interact. Following his passion for hands-on, practical work, Richard’s talk will involve a practical session giving the audience an idea of what it is like to measure the rates of particle sinking: with Pub-Particle Sinking. Why, and how, do sinking rates of olives, peanuts, crisps and pork scratchings vary so much? Offering the audience a chance to engage in a hypothesis-building and experimental session, Richard will focus hugely on audience participation.

paultyler

Professor of Marine Biology and Ecology, and a specialist in the deep sea, Paul Tyler will be talking about his own research which he describes as “pushing back the frontiers of knowledge”. Influenced by his love for exploration of the unknown world, Paul has had an extensive research career taking him from as far as the North-East Atlantic to the Antarctic Peninsula and everywhere in between. Although focussing on the distribution of deep sea organisms, their reproduction and population regulation, Paul has also had the chance to discover previously unknown environments as deep as 700m in manned submersibles. As a university academic, Paul has put a lot of time into influencing the next generation of scientists with over 50 successful PhD students, describing teaching as one of his favourite elements of work.

‘The Last Great Wilderness: the Deep Sea’ will be the second talk of the night. Paul will be taking you through his work in the North-East Atlantic, the Caribbean, the Antarctic Peninsula and South Georgia allowing you to look into their work with first-hand videos of their discoveries. The diversity of deep sea environments will be a further aspect of this talk, something that is rarely observed but is very much part of our natural world. If you have a curiosity of the unknown, the ocean, and freaky-looking animals, The Last Great Wilderness will be an event not to be missed.

If you are interested in the natural wonders of the ocean, or nature in general, The Dancing Man Brewery, near the National Oceanographic Centre, is definitely the venue to attend. Tickets are on sale now at £3.00 and can be booked through http://pintofscience.co.uk/event/from-surface-to-deep-sea/

Atlantic Wolfish Jones, D.O.B., Gates, A.R., Curry, R.A., Thomson, M., Pile, A., Benfield, M. (Eds) (2009). SERPENT project. Media database archive. Available online at http://archive.serpentproject.com/313/ accessed on Sat May 09 2015 00:27:19 GMT+0100 (GMT Standard Time)
Atlantic Wolfish
Jones, D.O.B., Gates, A.R., Curry, R.A., Thomson, M., Pile, A., Benfield, M. (Eds) (2009). SERPENT project. Media database archive. Available online at http://archive.serpentproject.com/313/ accessed on Sat May 09 2015 00:27:19 GMT+0100 (GMT Standard Time)

More articles in Pint of Science
  1. A Pint of Science
  2. Pint of Science – Making and Maintaining Connections
  3. Pint of Science – The Immune System and The Brain
  4. Pint of Science – Particles Go Quantum
  5. Pint of Science – Regenerating Organs in the Lab
  6. Pint of Science – Time Flies: A Brain Perspective
  7. Pint of Science – Understanding Addiction
  8. Pint of Science – Life: From Surface to Deep Sea
  9. Pint of Science – To Infinity… And Beyond!
  10. Pint of Science – The War On Cancer
  11. Pint of Science – Light: The Future of Data
  12. Pint of Science – Under the Crust
  13. Pint of Science – Análogos de Marte – Madrid
  14. Pint of Science Madrid – Preparing for Mars