Vettel Becomes Youngest Ever World Champion

0

Sebastian Vettel has become the youngest Formula 1 would champion, finishing ahead of Fernando Alonso in the Driver’s World Championship by four points. The German won the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix from pole, with his team mate Mark Webber finishing in 8th behind former championship leader Alonso in 7th.

Vettel was congratulated for his first world championship by former world champions, Lewis Hamilton and Jensen Button who finished the race 2nd and 3rd respectively.

Alonso was favourite going in to the race in Abu Dhabi, but Ferrari covered the wrong driver with their strategy and both Alonso and Webber were stuck behind Nico Rosberg and Vitaly Petrov who stopped behind an early safety car. The Spaniard needed to finish in the top four and would be guaranteed a win if he finished first or second. After the race, a frustrated Alonso was seen making hand gestures at Petrov for ruining his championship efforts.

Although last year’s world champion was mathematically out of the 2010 world championship, Jensen Button lead for most of the race before pitting and then slotting in behind his team mate, leaving McLaren finishing second in the constructor’s championship.

Red Bull Racing secured the Constructor’s World Championship at the previous race in Brazil, making them double world champions for 2010.