Southampton Skiers dominate at British Championships

0

Late November and the world’s biggest ski and snowboard dry slope event returned to Scotland for the British Universities Snowsports Council Dryslope Championships. Over 2000 students from Universities across the UK descended upon Edinburgh for another year of fierce competition.

The event kicked off with the Ski Slalom, with over 700 competitors taking part. Skiers Andy ‘Dendix’ Davies and Pete Baksh both secured BUCS points in the men’s event, finishing in third and fourth place respectively. It was the women’s event however, where the biggest impact was made, with unseeded Carly Phillips absolutely obliterating her very shocked opposition to take the Gold Medal.

While Southampton’s catsuit clad racers were busy dominating one side of the slope, over at the freestyle slopestyle event, Southampton’s Chloe Hardy was leading the way with some immense tricks along with the Red Bull DJ truck pumping ridiculously loud tunes to keep the crowd entertained. Chloe outclassed her female competition nailing some epic back flips and 540s to take the Gold Medal in the Ski Slopestyle competition.

Day 2 began with blistering sunshine, which soon changed to four seasons in one day. However our competitors were not discouraged, as Andy and Carly both secured their first day performances by picking up valuable BUCS points in the Giant Slalom. A notable performance also came from Kathryn Barber, who finished in 6th place despite concussing herself by crashing across the finish line.

As the snow began to fall, the Team Ski Dual Slalom kicked off in style! Southampton had high expectations, but no one had predicted the success that was to come. Not only the first team, but the second team too, earned impressive victories against old rivals of Newcastle, Loughborough and Bristol to make it through the final. Southampton 1 did however outclass Southampton 2 in the final to secure victory and take home the most coveted prize in university snow sports.

Securing the clubs best performance in a decade and earning the title of British Champions obviously needed celebrating as the weekend finished with the annual prize giving ball. In the typical après-ski party style that student snow sports is infamous for, the ball resulted in endless levels of nudity, golf balls, red wine, banter and riot police. SUSSC is already looking forward to next year.