Southampton Squash Team Confidently Sweep Aside Visiting Bournemouth

1

On Wednesday afternoon the Uni squash team took on a visiting Bournemouth side in a league match proving to be very successful, with the team grabbing five wins out of five.

Toby Moth began the rout, beating his opponent in straight sets. Tom Blake’s opponent took him all the way to the decisive fifth set, but he maintained his composure and kept the team on track. Matt Costein and Jamie Hind both followed suit and put in clinical performances. It was then left to the team’s number one Rich Parsons to put the icing on the cake, and he didn’t disappoint -beating his opponent in straight sets in an impressive showing.

After last season’s disappointing finish in the league, the squash side have since been gathering momentum, previously registering big wins against Bath and Cardiff in the autumn. With the whole team playing well, they will be hoping to bring their form into January’s home match against UWIC, who have yet to be beaten this season. The team remain confident and a win could see them hold off competition from Bath to finish second in the league.

Speaking after the match Rich Parson’s said “I’m really pleased with today’s result…last season we didn’t do that well but this year we’ve really pulled together.”

The newest member of the team, Jamie Hind commented “I’m really enjoying playing for the squash team, I used to play rugby, but this has been great for my fitness and keeping in shape.”

Score sheet:

Rich Parsons – WIN (3-0) =11-2, 11-2, 11-4

Matt Costein – WIN (3-0) = 11-6, 11-1, 11-6

Tom Blake – WIN (3-2) = 7-11, 11-3, 11-9, 8-11, 11-7

Toby Moth – WIN (3-0) = 11-5, 11-2, 11-4

Jamie Hind – WIN (3-0) = 11-9, 11-6, 11-8