Southampton Tennis stay Top

1

With both the Men’s and Women’s Tennis teams vying for top spot in their respective BUCS league tables they took on fellow promotion challenger’s Exeter down at Widelane. In each match the teams comprising four members took on an opponent in a singles match, before pairing up in the decisive doubles matches.

Despite miserable weather and a wet playing surface, both teams got off to an impressive start with Alex Murray for the Women’s team and Dan Bagguley for the Men’s team beating their opponents in straight sets. The men continued their good form until Ed Straiton slipped to a loss; however he was able to make amends in the doubles alongside Rupert Larkin as they sealed the win. The women’s tennis match was a much tighter affair with the side finishing with two wins and two losses in the singles. It was then down to Kerry Matthews and JoJo Hayward-Cook to beat Exeter in the doubles, with the match finishing in a three-all draw.

Success against Exeter 3s ensures that the Men’s team remain unbeaten in the league with five wins and one draw. After coming close in the past two years, with the side finishing 2nd and 3rd respectively, this year they will be hoping to maintain their success and secure promotion from the Western Conference 2A.  The draw means that the Women’s team remain tied at the top of the league alongside Exeter and UWE, however with upcoming matches against Cardiff and Aberystwyth University, promotion is still very much on the cards.

Final Results:

Women’s Singles:

Alex Murray – Won 6-0 / 6 -1

Lisa Coppinger – Lost 5-7 / 6-7

JoJo Hayward-Cook – Won 3-6 / 6-4 / 6-2

Karen Throp – Lost 3 – 6 / 3-6

Women’s Doubles:

Kerry Matthews and JoJo Hayward-Cook – Won 6-4 / 6-3

Men’s Singles:

Dan Bagguley – Won 7-5 / 6-4

Rupert Larkin – Won 6-4 / 6-3

Ed Straiton – Lost 6-4 / 6-1

Harold Rapcivics – Won 6-4 / 6-1

Men’s Doubles:

Dan Bagguley and Harold Rapcivics Won 6-2 / 6-1

Rupert Larkin and Ed Straiton Won 7-6 / 6-3