Widelane Wednesday’s (2nd February)

0

This is the First Edition of a regular round-up of sports fixtures down at Southampton Universities sports fields.

Men’s Hockey v Exeter 4th Team; Draw 0-0, despite the fact that the game ended without a goal, David Howes performance shone and he was awarded Man of the Match.

Women’s Hockey v Exeter ; Win 4 – 0, Women’s hockey continued their good form, with Rachel Manson, Jo Madely, Hannah Turner and Sophie Young scoring the goals. Despite not getting on the score sheet, Sally Stewart Moore’s efforts didn’t go unnoticed as she was awarded Man of the Match.

Women’s 2nd Hockey v Exeter 4th Team; The team slipped to a 6 – 1 loss. Man of the match Niamh Maccaoilte.

Men’s Rugby v Bath 3rd Team; Win 26 – 10, the team put out a strong performance, with Man of the Match from wing Steve Edward’s finishing ability saw him complete a hat trick of tries.

Women’s Rugby v Solent University; P-P – The match was called off after 30 minutes under controversial circumstances with the score at 25 – 0 to Southampton. Despite the premature end to the game, Southampton were nevertheless pleased with their performance particularly with their set piece. Mel McDonnell was the Forward of the Match, with Helen Blundell the pick of the backs.

Men’s Football v Exeter 2nd Team; Lost 3 – 0, after conceding a goal in the first half, Southampton came out in the second half desperate for an equaliser. The teams’ efforts saw them force a string of saves from the Exeter keeper as well as hitting the cross bar, however Exeter took advantage of Southampton forward ventures which left them vulnerable at the back, with the away side scoring twice in the final ten minutes off counter attacks. Sam Cole’s efforts earned him Man of the Match.

Women’s Lacrosse v Bristol 1st Team; Lost 17 – 5, the Lacrosse team took on a strong visiting Bristol side, but despite some promising moves and some decent goals, Bristol proved their class and pulled away. Kate Wakeling’s performance saw her named Man of the Match.

Men’s Tennis v Exeter 3rd Team; Win sees them hold firm at the summit of the table. The team won three out of four singles matches, before sealing the overall win with victory in both doubles matches.

Women’s Tennis v Exeter 3rd Team; Draw, with the match finishing 3 – 3 after they won 2 singles match and one doubles match. The draw still leaves them joint top in the league.

Keep an eye out on www.susu.tv for future highlights of Wednesday’s matches.