Southampton Judo take on Matsumachi

0

After enjoying recent success at the London Universities Open, the Judo club were visited by the local Matsumachi Judo team. Their arrival also saw the return of former Southampton University student and Judo club president (1980-83), Paul Sawyer, who now coaches at Matsumachi.

After running through some drills and practicing their groundwork technique, the two sides split into teams of six, with each person taking on an opponent of similar weight. The match started at a fast pace, with Matsumachi’s Daniel Grant grabbing an early win with an efficient ippon throw. The match between Heradito Silva and Ben Grant was a much more drawn out affair, lasting for approximately eight minutes. With both exhausted after attempts to gain the upper hand, their match ended a draw, with each player scoring a Yuko and a Waza-ari. The next match again fell in the favour of the visitors, with Bob Simpson beating Southampton’s Max Kwiek.

With Matsumachi on the verge of success with the score at 2-0, Southampton knew that they could not afford any more slip ups, and it was down to the heavyweights to keep them in contention. Richard Kapend started the comeback, beating Phill Grant with a strong ippon throw. Andrew Douglas and Nuriddin Ashurov both fought hard, but it was yet another Southampton win, with Douglas winning with an ippon hold down. With the scores tied at 2-2, it was down to Southampton’s Captain, Matt Vincent to try and secure to win, and he didn’t disappoint as he won the decisive match with an ippon throw.

Southampton will be hoping that they can take this recent good form into the upcoming annual BUC’s Judo Championship which will be held in Sheffield this March. Southampton will also be given the chance to take on Matsumachi again when they visit the team later this year.

Club Captain Matt Vincent “It’s always a great opportunity to fight new people in a friendly environment, and it’s also great preparation for the BUC’s event coming up next month.”

Coach Gary Hill “We have been running joint sessions with Matsumachi to help expose our players to competitive judo in a friendly low stress way, so that we can help encourage them to move on to more formal competitions in the future.”

If you want to know more about Southampton Judo club visit http://www.soton.ac.uk/~judo/ or come down to the refreshers bun fight on Tuesday 22nd February to see Judo demonstrations.

Southampton v Matsumachi

Morgan Haxby V Daniel Grant – Matsumachi Wins

Heradito Silva V Ben Grant – Draw

Max Kwiek V Bob Simpson – Matsumachi Wins

Richard Kapend V Phill Grant – Southampton Wins

Andrew Douglas V Nuriddin Ashurov – Southampton Wins

Matthew Vincent (Capt) V Greg Elderfield – Southampton Wins