Varsity: Ladies Football

0

Southampton Ladies fell 6-0 to the relentless attack of Portsmouth in the first Varsity game of the day at Wide Lane.

After a cautious start from both sides, Portsmouth took the lead midway through the first half after a goalmouth scramble allowed one of their forwards a simple finish from inside the 6 yard box.

This resulted in a sudden surge of momentum for the visitors, who doubled their lead within a minute after a deep cross from the right bounced over the Southampton ‘keeper’s head and was finished with a close range header from an onrushing midfielder.

With a two goal lead, Pompey continued to press, and the introduction of their number 7 from the bench helped pin Southampton back in their own half. She demonstrated excellent technical ability, and her shimmys and turns drew cheers from the (admittedly mostly Portsmouth) crowd.

Nonethless the Wessex Ladies defended valiantly, showing dogged persistence at the back, and on occassion managed to get forward with quick passing and good movement on the counter-attack. Though they managed to create a host of promising chances on the break, Southampton fell further behind after excellent control at the edge of the box and a composed finish into the bottom corner from the overlapping Portsmouth left-back.

From this point on, the game looked slightly out of reach for the home team. The second half progressed in much the same manner, with both teams throwing themselves into challenges, but Portsmouth never really looked like surrendering their lead.

Southampton threw players forward as the half wore on, and fashioned numerous chances following good linking play amongst the attackers, but just couldn’t manage to find the net, often shooting from distance and narrowly missing the target.

Portsmouth went on to score three more, making the most of the now increasingly exposed Wessex defence, to wrap up the game 6-0. Spirits were still high on the sidelines, with the Ladies subs chanting in support of their teams efforts.