The Vixens

0

Cheerleading at Southampton

The Vixens in Training Photographed by Fiona Heath

Daphne Ash

Guaranteed as one of the AU’s most exciting and original clubs, the Southampton Vixens is the University’s Cheerleading Squad; an energetic sport for enthusiastic girls of all abilities. The Vixens are made up of three divisions: the Competition and Dance squads, who compete (and win!) against other cheerleading and dance teams nationally; and Game Day, who perform and cheer at the Southampton Stags’ games during American Football season.

The biggest myth surrounding cheerleading (apart from the ‘catty cheerleader cliché which exists only on American television) is that prior experience is required. Many of the Vixens had little experience in dance or gymnastics prior to joining and most of the squads had no previous knowledge of Cheerleading before coming to university. Being a Vixen is all about having fun, being committed and loving life so if being a cheerleader interests you, don’t let a lack of prior skills be a concern!

Being a Vixen is also an original and social way to utilise your gymnastic abilities and learn new skills in a competitive, exciting team sport. The Competition Squad will be training together at a gymnasium to ensure that the Vixens are able to perfect their gymnastic talent, creating dynamic stunting, jumping and tumbling sequences which last year earned them their title as South Regional and National Level 4 All Girl champions. The Dance Squad (who also bring home the trophies) perform an energetic, originally choreographed hip hop routine showcasing the talent of all their dancers. Game Day employs these skills to perform new routines every week but no try-outs will be held in order to join.

For those who do want to join either the Competition or Dance squads, rid yourself of any Bring It On audition nightmares; there’s a full fortnight of training prior to try-outs provided by the coaches in which stunts, jumps and dances will be taught in detail so that novices can develop new skills and experienced athletes can brush up on techniques that may need practising after summer.

One thing’s for certain – ask any member of any squad (who can be found at the Freshers’ Bunfight or on campus sporting our new kit) and they’ll tell you that becoming a Vixen was one of the very best decisions they made at Southampton University, as it has allowed them to be a part of a dedicated, enthusiastic and incredibly supportive team who love performing and having fun.

If you would like to be part of the next exciting year of Vixens then come along to the Freshers’ Bunfight on Wednesday 28th of September or visit our website www.southamptonvixens.com. All three squads comprise of girls of all abilities, from those who have never tried cheerleading before to nationally recognised tumblers, and the Vixens is open to all – freshers and returners.

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)