SURFC 2’s Outperform Plymouth on Away Territory

0

After a very long, but entertaining three and a half hour journey down to Plymouth, Wessex 2’s, captained by Jonny Collins, turned out on a rain soaked pitch to beat Plymouth Marjon 8-3.

Wessex dominated the first half of the game, with first year Chris Hanson converting a penalty kick in the first 15 minutes taking Wessex to a 3-0 lead.  Plymouth had a chance to even up the scoreline around the 25 minute mark, however they missed the opportunity with a kick of their own. The first half was very scrappy, with both sides making very sloppy handling errors. The score at half time was 3-0.

In the second half, Wessex gave away a long distance penalty, which Plymouth converted, taking the score up to 3-3. This drove Wessex to pick up the pace in the last 30 minutes, with some superb forward play, allowing for some excellent quick ball in which the backs would thrive upon. This allowed the backs to capitalise, with some fantastic play by the centres, resulting in Will Walker breaking the line and offloading to Josh Emmet for Wessex’s well deserved try.

Wessex closed the match with some excellent ball possession, leaving the end score at 8-3.

Scrum half, Richard Yates, commented “Huge win for the boys, hopefully the first of many. Tough game in tough conditions”.

HT – 3-0

FT – 8-3