Wessex Wednesdays – Week One (Wednesday 19th October)

0

This is the first in a regular series offering weekly scores and reports from Wednesday’s matches at Widelane and the Jubilee sports centre. This week saw a promising number of victories, with a number of sides partaking in their first BUCS league fixture of the year. It definitely looks set to be a good season!

Men’s 1st Team Lacrosse – 22 v UWE 1st Team – 2

With a restructure of BUCS league, the Lacrosse side began their season with an impressive win against UWE 1st Team, with Southampton’s attack proving especially effective.

Lacrosse Captain Tom Clements “I’m really pleased to win, although in parts we were a bit sloppy and our ground ball was a bit messy, it was great to see the new guys fit in to the side. Overall, we proved to be clinical up front with a solid defensive performance and hopefully with a fully fit side we can challenge for promotion this year.”

Men’s 1st Team Football – 2 v Bournemouth 2nd Team – 0

SUFC’s First team took a win thanks to two first-half goals from Alex Naldrett.

Vice-Captain Tom Burton noted that “This team showed signs of being the best team I’ve played in over the last three years, I felt we were blistering in parts and the defence was water-tight.”

Men’s 2nd Team Football – 2 v Bournemouth 3rd Team – 4

Whilst the match had plenty of excitement in which Wessex missed a penalty, SUFC second team were disappointed to lose in a physical encounter against Bournemouth 3’s.

Captain Jack Briden felt that there were still positives to take from the game “It was our first match of the year and I felt we passed well and the new players looked like they are settling in well, however in the future hopefully we can improve communication and play a wider game.”

Men’s 3rd Team Football – 3 v Winchester 0

The SUFC 3s impressed against local rivals Winchester and had the added bonus of keeping a clean sheet.

Men’s 1st Team Basketball – 65 v Bristol 1st Team – 42

Despite going into half time at 23-21, the Southampton Sharks showed their class in the second half to take a convincing win over Bristol.

Captain Matt Jones felt that “The first half was a bit scrappy, but in the second half we really pulled it out of the bag. We lost a lot of experienced players at the end of last year, however it was great to see some new guys stepping up.”

Men’s 1st Team Hockey – 3 v Gloucester 1st Team-1

After having ‘smashed the league last year’ and been promoted, this was the first game for the men in League 1a. 3:1 in the opening game, is definitely a promising result for a team with high aspirations of promotion this season. Goal scorers, David Howes, Josh Cutting and Aidan O’Regan were aided by man of the match Olly Watts. 1st Team Captain, Dave Firth says that the team are ‘looking to continue the success’ in what looks set to be a challenging but exciting season.

Women’s 1st Team Hockey -8 v Exeter 4th Team- 1

The women’s team set the standard very high on the astro at Wide Lane yesterday with an impressive 8-1 win against Exeter 4’s. This result is even more impressive as two girls scored hat tricks, fresher Ellie Piper and Vicky Field. With four freshers contributing to the win, Captain Helen Brook is eager for “promotion this year, as we narrowly missed out last year.” She adds that the girls “played really well” and Coach Shaun Baker added that “there’s room for improvement, but its a very good start.”

Elsewhere the Women’s football team experienced mixed results with the 1st Team drawing 1-1 against Bath 2s in a really good game and the second team falling to an 8-1 loss against Cardiff.