SUSURF BUCS/NEWQUAY TRIP

0

Heading out on Friday 14th for the biggest trip ever undertaken by the club a grand total of 60 budding surfers, ranging from total beginners to seasoned wave riders, were all poised for a weekend of sun, surf and general madness.

With Southampton’s competitors for the BUCS Surf Championships already down in Newquay, arriving late Friday night it didn’t take long for the rest of SUSURF to drop their bags, settle into their rooms and roll out to the pub! Despite Friday traditionally being a chilled night, the hype generated by the social secs and keen freshers was infectious. Drinks flowed as people got to know each other and discussed all things surf. After the 230 mile trip many of the drivers retired early to rest up for tomorrow’s session.

Saturday morning, all system go by 9:30 waking up for our complementary breakfast. SUSURF made their way down, Fistral down to watch some of the competition. Winning many of their heats (including an epic showdown between our President Sion against Portsmouth club Captain) Southampton’s spirits were high. With everyone eager for a surf we dashed off to Perranporth. To everyones delight, glassy head high waves welcomed us to the beach. With nigh on perfect conditions everyone outback was scoring sick rides and those in the white water began standing up in record time.

After many hours in the water, SUSURFers drifted into town to indulge in hot cornish pasties and ice cream. Those with enough energy left kept the action going with a mixed game of touch rugby, only ended by the pushing tide!

Soon after arriving back at the hostel work began on costumes for the ‘under the sea’ themed night out. From octopuses to mermaids to crazy crustaceans SUSURF poured out into Newquay, only to return early next morning minus a few tentacles!

With many missing breakfast due to sore heads, we headed back to Perranporth. Sets from a huge swell pounded the beach, and those daring enough to brave the paddle out!  Some managed to smash the lip, but many opted to rest up in the sunshine or frolic in the shallows.

With the final day of competition underway, SUSURF had a strong presence in the final rounds with both Cathryn Quick and Sion making the quarters and freshman Tom Noon all the way to the semis before biting the dust! One of the best results in a while for Southampton! Massive well done to those guys and everyone who competed!

As the weekend began drawing to a close and the sun to set we grabbed a group photo on the cliffside to capture the moment then prepared for the journey home. Completely surfed out SUSURF had an awesome weekend. Can’t wait for next years BUCS!

Our next trip is running 4-6th of November to celebrate bonfire night down in Newquay! Sign up for this and the mailing list on www.susurf.com to keep up to date. Keep an eye out for Morocco 13th-20th December!

By Tim Lomas and Joe (Jiggy) Higgins

SUSURF Trips Secs

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)