Your Chance to Join BUCS Champions SUWRFC

0

By Kathryn George

SUWRFC

Women’s rugby is a sport rising in popularity. Over the last few years women’s teams have gone from strength to strength, Southampton University Women’s Rugby Football Team (SUWRFC) is no exception. Winning the BUCS cup last season has put our team on the map and shown clubs and universities everywhere just what we can achieve. With regular training sessions on Monday evenings at Wide Lane sports ground we are well prepared for games, home and away, which are held on Wednesday afternoons.

SUWRFC is open to anyone, whether you are at county level or have never played before. Our club offers an opportunity to take part in a new sport, high level training, fitness management, a chance to try new positions and opportunities to play against other universities and local teams. Matches take us all over the south of England and Wales and are a brilliant opportunity to play many teams of varying standards.

Training sessions are run by our coach, Junior, who is an ex-international player and involve many aspects of rugby including fitness, agility, tackling, and ball handling skills. Forwards and backs are taught skills specialised to their position and help to develop both the individual player and team as a whole. Each session is great fun, different and always tailored to improve the aspects of our game that need work.

SUWRFC has socials every Wednesday night, and with varying themes and venues these are said to be the most memorable (or not!) nights of any club within the university! We also go on tour every year, last year we went to Salou in Spain, and get the chance to play teams from all over the country. We are a very welcoming club with members varying from freshers to PhD students studying a wide variety of courses. Members are all of different levels within the game and work together to provide support and coaching. Joining SUWRFC will guarantee you an excellent opportunity to train and play for a high level team playing a sport ever increasing in popularity and respect. Our club will offer you brilliant social opportunities and the chance to make friends for life.

Make Sure You Get Involved:

TRAINING: Mondays 7.30-9.30pm
Wednesdays 2-4pm
Both at Wide Lane.

Facebook Group

EMAIL: womens.rugby@hotmail.co.uk

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)