The Stags Storm UWE

1

By Jonny Brooks

Southampton Stags played against UWE on Sunday. It was a friendly game in preparation for our first match against Buckinghamshire Buccaneers next week.  Last time we met UWE was in a playoff game last season, which we lost 26-10. It was a very close game which we were absolutely gutted to lose. That loss ended the season for us.

So the friendly was our first chance to get our revenge. We knew this would be a tough game and it was also the first time that many of our rookies have faced a game-like situation.

From the get go we looked dominant. We scored on our first two possessions which put us up 14-0 in the 1st quarter. UWE replied by scoring once to make it 14-7 but our offensive unit didn’t stop producing and the score was 27-7 at half time.

This was enough for our coaches to be happy about and in the second half we played many of our rookie players. UWE generally kept at least half of their 1st team on the field, but even our rookies were able to keep up with them. The game finished 33-13.

This win was absolutely incredible for us. It was such a confidence booster and now we are all feeling good about this season. We are seriously looking to become national champions this year and we feel that it’s a feasible goal. Our head coach said that he’d never seen the Stags look so good at this point in the season, even in the years that we won the national championship.  We are so pumped!!!!!

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)