Wessex Wednesdays Week 3 (2nd November 2011)

0

Photos and Words by Ellie Sellwood

Entering into the third week of BUCS competitions there were some big successes at Wide Lane this Wednesday.

Womens Lacrosse 1st-25 v Bath 2nd- 1

The Ladies dominated this game scoring goal after goal in quick succession. The Bath team seemed lost on the pitch as Southampton scored an impressive 25 to match their one and only. This impressive win puts the Ladies at the top of the Western 1A League of BUCS having won 2 out of 3 games so far this season. The 1st team take on UWE 1st on the 23rd November and look to replicate this success. Definitely a good start to the season!

Mens Football 1st- 5 v Exeter 2nd -1

The success continued over on the football pitch with SUFC’s 1st team scoring a fantastic 5 goals against rivals Exeter. This is a good result for the team who have won 2 out of 3 games this season and are placed third in the Western 2A League of the BUCS MARS Football Competition. They take on local rivals Southampton Solent University Away on Wednesday 9th November.

Mens Football 2nd- 2 v Exeter 3rd- 3

Mens Football 3rd- 0 v Exeter 4th- 0

Mens 2nd Rugby- 26 v Bath Spa 1st- 0

SURFC’s 2nd team took Bath Spa 1sts by storm this week scoring a staggering 26 points. Bath Spa appeared lost on the pitch as the team dominated with their strong defense and aggressive attack. At half time the score was 10-0 to SURFC. It’s evident that pre-season training has paid off for this team as captain Jonny Collin was pleased with the ‘solid performance from all the boys and a well earned win,’ This is a great victory for a team which Jonny says is ‘building momentum for a great season.’ Currently ranked seventh in the Western 3A division of the BUCS competition this is a team with great potential having won 2 of the 3 games played so far. They take on University College Plymouth St. Mark and St. John 1st team on Wednesday 16th November.

Mens 2nd Tennis- 6 v Exeter 3rd- 6

Over on the tennis courts Southampton University’s Mens 2nd team managed to draw with Exeter Mens 3rd. This was an impressive result considering that the heavens opened during the final match leaving players from both teams struggling to score points on the slippery rain soaked pitches. Despite this, it was a good effort all round for the team who are currently ranked 4th in the Western 2A Division of BUCS. They take on Southampton Solent Mens 1st away on 16th November when they hopefully won’t be showing any love.

Elsewhere there were some equally good results:

Mens Hockey 1st- 2 v Exeter 2nd- 2

Exeter Uni 2nd Hockey Team Mean Monkey Business

Mens Hockey 2nd- 1 v Exeter Mens 4th- 3

Good Luck to all teams playing this week!

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)