Wessex 2’s dominate Stoneham at Widelane

0

Fresh off their midweek victory against Bath Spa, Wessex 2’s Rugby took on Stoneham on Saturday 5th November at home. Despite only having three days rest, the side didn’t show any fatigue as Will Walker slid into the corner for a well taken try, taking Wessex to a 5-0 lead in the first few minutes, which was followed swiftly by his second, both conversions unfortunately missed. Dallimore then fended off two would-be tackles to score the third try of the game.

Wessex showed some great defence, with Collins coming up with a steal and landing a penalty for Wessex. This was very quickly followed by Matt Ash who took advantage of a quick tap and go and went in for a clear run. The conversion was missed again, but Wessex stayed ahead with an impressive 20-0 lead.

Luke Powis ran and scored yet another try which was successfully converted by Walker. Stoneham finally felt that it was the time to fight back and subsequently scored a well taken try, bringing the score up to 27-5. This didn’t faze Southampton though, as Steven Edwards battled his way to the line as Wessex regained their twenty point lead. Collin made an excellent breakout, offloading the ball on to Ash, on to Dallimore and finally on to Simba Mashavira who scored under the posts unfortunately the conversion was missed again. Great footwork by Rhys Ambrose allowed him to go in under the posts, and the conversion was taken by Walker taking the score to 46-5.

The try count continued to rise as Nathan Moorey took advantage of a loose ball and dived on it in the in-goal area after some great footballing skills. Some amazing handling and five consecutive offloads lead to a breakout score, followed shortly by an unbelievable offload by Simon Gorman which set up another brilliant try, with Joe Burrows converting two kicks in a row. A forward pass by Ambrose was overlooked as Moorey was on hand for a merciless finish. Burrows was on fire, converting three kicks in a row.

Wessex didn’t let up until the final whistle, as Yates stepped a man to score the 14th try in the last few minutes of the game, which was yet again converted beautifully.

Wessex 2’s proved their worth in this game, absolutely dominating Stoneham. A fantastic effort from the team, who worked as a solid unit throughout the whole game. Their determination and strength throughout the game was clear when the whistle went, taking home an outstanding 79-5 win.

Tries: Walker, Dallimore, Ash, Powis, Edwards, Mashavira, Ambrose, Moorey, Yates

Con: Walker, Burrows

Penalties: Collin

FT = 79-5