Wessex 2’s take a win over Bath Spa 1’s 02.11.11

0

Tries: Luscombe, Walker, Ambrose, Hegarty, Jackson

Con: Burrows

Wessex 2’s started out slow looking for weaknesses in the Bath Spa 1’s defence.

There was an exciting breakthrough at 20 minutes, with Pete Luscombe scoring a well worked back move in the left hand corner. Wessex went over for a second try a few minutes later, landed by Will Walker, unfortunately, both conversions were missed in the first half. The score at half time was a respectable 10-0.

In the second half, Wessex came out all guns blazing, with Rhys Ambrose scoring a classsic scrumhalf try in the right hand corner.

There was increasing pressure from outstanding tactical kicking from the Wessex penalties, and long periods of possession. The pressure took its toll and a quickly taken tap penalty allowed the Wessex 8 to crash over for their 4th try by Steve Hegarty, putting Wessex at a 20-0 lead.

The 5th try came from yet more forward dominance, with a powerful Wessex maul from 5 metres out, drove over and Laurence Jackson dropped over the line and the conversion was duly taken and converted by Wessex 10, Joe Burrows. End score: 27-0.

Flankers were unfortunately injured early on. Alex Locke dislocated his shoulder badly which will leave him out for a while, and alex wright 2nd half was replaced by charlie threadgold and Lawrence Jackson respectively.

Man of the match was Bob ‘the tank’ miller who won loads of turnovers, big carries and great defence. Wessex 2’s, who held out Bath Spa with some fantastic defence are now placed 7th in the BUCS Western 3A table.

“It was a great win and a solid all-round performance from the boys. The team is now building momentum towards what could be a very successful season.”

Jonny Collin, 2nd Team Captain

HT = 10 – 0

FT = 27 – 0