Wessex Rangers Stay At The Top Of The League

0

SURFC 1’s vs Exeter 3’s

Wessex took off to a good start with a converted penalty by Davies in the first few minutes. Full of confidence, a textbook ‘Scholars’ move set the Rangers up with their first try in the far left corner, which was landed  again by Davies.

Dummy line out tactics threw off the Exeter side leading to another successful penalty for the Rangers. Exeter gained back on Wessex, when they scored their first try, bringing the score to 13-5. Keen not to let the point difference slide, Max Winpenny scored in the right hand corner, which was swiftly followed by a successful conversion. Wessex kept possession, holding off Exeter and by the end of the first half Exeter had scored their second try leaving the score at 20-10 at halftime.

The Gresham sponsored side, under great motivation from captain Berry Yirrel, showed no sign of disheartenment and proved in the second half why they are, and remain, at the top of the BUCS Western 2A League. A controversial line out decision by Benoît Brière, gave Wessex the advantage, leading to JC Thompson scoring a fantastic try in the 47th minute. Exeter scored their third and final try of the game and their fly-half unfortunately hit the post, a relief for the Wessex side!

The last 20 minutes of the game saw Wessex dominate Exeter thirds with a string of tries. A great run from Beau Strong led to him scoring a well deserved try, with Davies kicking just short of the post. Captain Berry Yirrel landed himself a try, closely followed by a beautifully set up run by Freddie Gleadowe, passing on to Davies where he went on to score in the left hand corner, unfortunately the try was not converted.

HT = 20-10

FT = 40-13

SURFC enjoy an undefeated season so far and their hard work seems to be paying off. Man of the Match was awarded to Seb Johansson for ‘amazing ball carrying and work rate’ – commented Berry Yirrel.

Junior Paramore, ex-Samoan forward, and SURFC head coach, commented on the boys performance.

The boys are playing well, we have played 5, won 5. They work hard in Monday night training which you can clearly see by the results. There is a big game next Wednesday, so hopefully we can go through to the promotions.

Junior Paramore
Head Coach

Tries : Davies, Winpenny, Thompson, Strong, Yirrel

Con : Davies x 4

Pen : Davies x 2

Photo credit to Ali Straw.