Wessex Wednesdays- Week 5- 23rd November 2011

0

The Wessex Scene went down to Widelane for another week of fixtures for Southampton in BUCS competitions.

Ladies Football 1st- 2 vs Plymouth 1st- 3

After a 15-0 loss last week to Solent, the ladies football team were back on form this week taking on table-toppers Plymouth in a close game ending 3-2 to Plymouth. The Scene caught up with the girls at half time, as Wessex scored their second goal. The ladies appeared confident and challenging on the pitch, now with boosted morale for their next match against UWE 1st after the Winter Break on 1st February 2012.

Mens Hockey 1st- 2 vs Bath 2nd- 1

This was a very tense and closely fought match resulting in a 2-1 win for Wessex. A massive win for the men ahead of their game against University of Gloucester 1st on the 14th December.

Men’s Rugby 3rd-46 vs Solent- 12

The 3rd team were sent to the top of the table with a huge win over local rivals Solent. Tries were scored by: Sam Leach (3) Louis Mamode and Jubril Ayanbunmi (2) Harry Hawkridge scored 2 conversions and a penalty and Joe Burrow scored a conversion. This was a massive win for the men!

Men’s Football 1st-5 vs Plymouth 1st- 3

The Men’s 1st team played a fantastic match against Plymouth and are now second in the BUCS Western 2A League. Captain Tom Burton said that he was ‘very pleased with the win, there was a dent in confidence last week against local rivals Solent, but we showed great character not to be affected, we righted all wrongs and came back from 2-1 down. Definitely deserved to win at the end.’ Goal Scorers were: Denham (2), Burton, Naldrett and Rowley. Next weeks game versus Bristol is the last before the Winter break.

Men’s Football 2nd- 2 vs Plymouth 2nd- 1

The second team also had a great win against Plymouth and are now 4th in their Western 3A League. This week’s match versus Winchester is the penultimate before the winter break and with a good win behind them it should be an exciting game.

Men's 1st and 2nd Football Teams celebrate their successes together

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)