Ladies Sailing Shine Amongst Top Universities

0

By Ed Morris

Sunshine and light winds prevailed over the weekend as the top female team racers
from across the United Kingdom descended upon Spinnaker Sailing Club for the RYA Ladies Team Racing Championships. This was the first year that the event also incorporated the BUSA Championship and this seems to have positive step with 16 teams, including 11 University teams entering.

The format of the event format was single round robin, followed by a knock out stage
for the top four teams. As per the NoR, the BUSA results would be determined by the round robin, with the RYA title taken from the knock out competition. This meant a busy weekend where a potential 132 races were to be run.

Bright Sunshine and shifty force 2-3 north westerly greeted the competitors and the ever efficient Spinnaker/Wessex Organising Authority, led by PRO Martin Smethers, had racing underway by 10:00. The quality of the racing was clear, with many races not decided until the very last beat; this kept both the umpires and the finishing boat alert!

Whilst the fickle, shifty winds meant that continuous racing was almost impossible, the Southampton helpers did their utmost to keep the event on track. By both ferrying competitors to and from the changeover pontoons and constantly adjusting the course, 95 races were managed by 17:00 – and this despite BUSA Men’s Captain Andy Shaw managing to wrap mark 2 around his prop whilst relaying it!

By the end of Saturday, all the teams had completed at least 10 races and, Southampton Yellow and Oxford were tied on one loss each. However, Southampton took the lead as they had championed with a 2 3 5 when they met early on in the competition. Close behind a convincing victory by relative underdogs, Bath, against Southampton Yellow meant that they just held third from the chasing pack of Cambridge, Rutland Raiders (Angry Birds) and Wessex Exiles.

Most of the teams headed to Southampton where Wessex laid on a great social in the infamous Manzils Tandoori and Jesters Nightclub, although the 09:00 warning signal in the morning meant that everyone was careful not to enjoy themselves too much!

Sunday dawned windless but encouraging reports from Farmoor about
northerly breezes meant that everyone was ready to go once the wind arrived. By 1030 racing was underway, and with the re-sails from Saturday completed, the last 25 races of
the round robin were concluded by lunchtime. By this time the BUSA competition
had been determined with Southampton Yellow taking the title ahead of Oxford and Bath.

After a short Lunch break the RYA titles were contested by a knockout stage. These
matches were first to two race wins, but were all decided with only two races. Southampton Yellow beat Cambridge in the first semi whilst Oxford beat Bath in the second. This set up a final between Oxford and Southampton. Oxford repulsed Southampton’s Challenge by starting well and sailing clear. Ultimately Oxford took the title in two races with a 1, 2, 5 and 1, 2, 6. In the petit final Cambridge overcame Bath to take 3rd in the RYAs in 2 races.

The event was an enormous success and it was great to see so many entries. In the prize giving Oxford captain, Lucy Veys, praised the organisers for a well organised event and said she hope to see everyone back next year to compete once again. Huge thanks must go to all the officials and especially Jess Blick, Southampton Ladies captain who managed to organise the army of helpers from Wessex who helped to make the event go so smoothly.

RYA Results:

1. Oxford
2. Southampton Yellow
3. Cambridge
4. Bath
5. Rutland
6. Oxford and Cambridge Sailing Society
7. Wessex Exiles
8. Swansea
9. Southampton Blue
10. Cardiff
11. Bristol
12. Nottingham
13. Portsmouth
14. Birmingham
15. Spinnaker
16. Newcastle

BUSA RESULTS:

1. Southampton Yellow
2. Oxford
3. Bath
4. Cambridge
5. Southampton Blue
6. Cardiff
7. Bristol
8. Nottingham
9. Portsmouth
10. Birmingham
11. Newcastle